• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Sigurð Stormhand

• AndalayBay

Wow, it must be nice to have so much money that you can waste off that much of it for an in-game perk... on the other hand, especially if he really does manage to turn it into a profit center for real funds, it's going to open all sorts of doors for government taxation of virtual stuff. :(

I'm not sure that they were really still thought of that way anyway, Pretty, especially most of the online games these days that aren't even little kid friendly. I think the bigger implication is what our governments are going to do when they realize that not only is virtual stuff a major source of income for the game hosts but also a potential source of income for gamers.

Since we have a nice thread for this sort of thing now...You know what's refreshing? I just played Fallout New Vegas for 6 hours straight without any sort of issues whatsoever, except repeated deaths at the hands of raiders and a very, very exciting couple of encounters with the Powder Gangers and Caesar's Legion respectively.And you know what's satisfying? I totally killed a guy by shooting him in the face with a varmint rifle at such a range that my front sight was bigger than he was, let alone his head. What's better is, I did it twice.

And you know what's satisfying? I totally killed a guy by shooting him in the face with a varmint rifle at such a range that my front sight was bigger than he was' date=' let alone his head. What's better is, I did it twice.[/quote']Nice. I did something like that, except I was using the .50 Cal, and even through the zoomed in scope he was still a barely discernible shape.

To return to this topic, allow me to note that if you enjoy any form of sniping whatsoever, this game is most certainly for you. Which is to say that there is a unique varmint rifle called Ratslayer, and it is a wonderful, wonderful thing. If it can be seen through a scope, there is a high probability that I have shot it in the head at great distances.

I haven't really been having too many issues with New Vegas either. In many ways I think it has it over Fallout 3. Mind you, I've found the most effective and satisfying weapons are the melee ones, particularly fire axes and those explosive power fists (whatever they're called). The quests are incredibly well written and executed too.Though to be honest, no fight in that game has ever matched up to anything Fallout 3 has given me with FWE installed. Its almost like playing COD online.

I find it unlikely I'll ever get F:NV with the number of bugs people say it still has. They'd need to sweeten the deal an awful lot to get me to deal with it via Steam too. So extremely unlikely I'd ever consider it before Skyrim if Skyrim ends up infected as well.

:shrug: Even with bugs and Steam, if it's got Kayle and Dwip that excited, that says a lot. (Not that prettyfly's opinion is meaningless, it's just that I've known Dwip & Kayle for much longer.)

I'll have a lot more to say about this later, since I'll probably do a blog review, but for the moment let me just say that I've logged 30 hours in like 3 days playing, and apparently the only thing I actually did yesterday was play F:NV, so that should give you some indication.

I haven't really experienced any of the bugs people are claiming are in F:NV, granted I play it on the Xbox, but still, game killing glitches normally manifest more on the console version then the computer version and I only had it freeze once, and that was after I left the console running all night paused because I fell asleep on the couch while playing it... I think it ran for almost 48 hours that day. And it was probably the Xbox that froze and not a glitch in the game.

I use the game on PS3, which is reputed to be the worst of all the systems in terms of crashes, but I've only ever had it crash once on me. It does stutter quite a bit though.

I've seen some bugs on the PC, but only a couple of them were actually serious - one time I couldn't complete a quest the way I wanted so had to do it another way. Most of the time it's just me noticing that this game needs a UOP equivilent for holes in rock walls really super bad, and the usual stock LOD sucking stuff. Otherwise it's incredibly stable - I routinely play it for 10 hours straight with scarcely a hiccup.

Since this is the random stuff thread' date=' it just occurred to me that the our new AFK banner is looking very nice indeed! :grinning:[/quote']Agreed. :)So, in consideration of the comments proffered by Kayle, prettyfly, and Dwip, Samson, I submit that the problems with F:NV may not be nearly as seriously severe as we'd been led to believe.

They are 3 people against the tide of bug report after bug report. They were right about FO3, and for the most part right about Oblivion, and Dwip even said one quest was broken enough it wouldn't let him finish it his way. Besides, Steam does not set foot on this PC unless Skyrim forces the issue.

Well, I can't speak for the PC and 360 users, but the problems with FO3 only really begin to turn up on on PS3 when save game sizes exceed 12mb. I suspect this will be the case in FNV as well, though the save game sizes don't seem to rise at the same rate in it.Of course thats no real help with the PC, but thats what I can say with relative confidence.

There were bugs other than just problems from large saves though. And one of those bugs never did get fixed.

Having a large save simply increased the number of problems you got (and quite dramatically, too), rather than giving you unique ones. They could all be fixed by reloading the save, but when you have to do that five times and hour, well.... :sad:I don't think any of the bugs really got fixed for PS3 (other than the PSN issue), the patches they gave the console were largely defunct.

As I say, I routinely run the game for 6-10 hours straight without serious issue, although I did get a crash once at about hour 9, and some stuttering at hour 8 or so the once. I don't think I've ever kept a Bethesda game up that long ever in my life.As far as the broken quest thing goes, I've done, I don't know, 20 or 30 major quests now? Maybe more? All of which are generally much more complex than, say, the Fargoth quest in Oblivion. I've had the one serious problem, which I solved by just doing the quest another way. The problems I've experienced are I'd say less than pre-patched Oblivion, definitely less than Fallout 3.And it's 10 hours a day kind of good, so, you know.

Besides' date=' Steam does not set foot on this PC unless Skyrim forces the issue.[/quote'] Amen, Bro'.... but chances are that it *WILL* force the issue. Pretty much the standard nowadays. I hate, but not playing Skyrim is not an alternative either... :sad: