Random Stuff

Arthmoor

I finally got an account here. It's unfortunate that the answer to that signup math question isn't: "You're a damn sadist and I'm coming after you with a giant stick."

I should know. I checked.

Math isn't one of my strong points either. At least I was able to read it' date=' which isn't true on some sites.[/quote']Which is why God invented calculators. :tongue:

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Sigurð Stormhand

• AndalayBay

Bots can indeed answer math questions, but you'd be surprised at just how effectively it stops the vast majority of them when the math problems are randomly generated the way these are. I don't even use division because that would have been ridiculous to expect a proper answer for.The math thing was born of frustration over how bad image based checks have become. Sometimes to the point where you can stare at an image forever and not see what they're asking you for.The math problem isn't the only barrier though. All registrations here have to survive a check with the Akismet filter too. That catches 99% of the bots that survive the math problem, leaving very few to clean up when they do surface.That's further enhanced by all changes to profiles for new users going through the same Akismet filtering, as well as actual posts having to do the same until the user has > 5 to their name.I really do wonder why none of the big names in forum software haven't adopted similar methods. IPB alone could squash the problem of forum bots for good if they had tools this aggressive.

IPB has a spam prevention service that works like a charm. We haven't had a single bot get through and DarkRider at TES Alliance says that they've never had a problem with bots either. It's really cool because they never get to see the forums at all. I love it when they come back later and try to access the board. They get told "You are not allowed to visit this community." :tongue:The capcha's are getting awfully hard to read though - I'll give you that. I usually have to refresh them two or three times.

Yes, I know IPB has their own thing. Akismet is free though, and millions of people interface with it. So it's become a very effective barrier against spam.It's meant primarily for blog software but forum adaptations work very well too.

• 2 weeks later...
Happy Birthday' date=' Dwip ![/b']
Happy B'day. I'm so good at missing those important dates. I've even managed to forget mine on a regular basis.

Happy Birthday Dwip!!Amadaun forgot her mother's birthday, and then proceeded to say her mother's new driver's licence photo looked like a "stunned cow"... We are surprised to see Ama on the forums right now...So here's hoping your day is a great one. And I've stopped killing bunnies in Skyrim - they really are too cute :grinning: When I see one running towards me at full tilt, I look up to see what he's running from!

Happy Birthday, Dwip! I hope it's a really great one! :)(P.S. I haven't really slunk back out of the woodwork yet, I've just got a moment between finals :headbang: today and thought this merited at least a remark. :wink:)

Hiya Hana, how've you been? :grinning: (I'd ask Arthmoor and Dwip too, but they post more often and I have followed the rss feeds between my classes. :shrug:)

Hoping to get my hands on a GeForce 560 Ti for Christmas this year. $250.00 is quite a sum, but that should keep me covered for plenty of time to come. My 8800 GT lasted me about four years, and it was a major trooper getting me great performance out of a number of demanding titles, but the time is coming when it needs to retire to backup status.I'm only gaming at 1360 X 768 resolution, but the upside to that is with 1Gb VRAM, I can REALLY bump the texture resolutions up. My personal definition of HD gaming lies more in texture quality and not in screen resolution. I would happily exchange a slightly softer full image in exchange for textures that are not crap-tastic blurry if I look at them any less than 20 feet away.

Well, we got a call involving a scam I had never seen or heard anything about today.I answered it and the voice asked for Clarence. I asked who was calling (excerpt of conversation follows)"Larry"me "Larry who""Larry from the Treasury Department"me " What treasury department"... "about a package"at this point I yell up the stairs "Honey there is an a**hole on the phone who wants to talk to you about some package"hubby takes over phonesimilar conversation to above until hubby hangs upIf anyone gets this kind of call, just hang up on em. Any correspondence from the government, the person would properly identify themselves and their title. I've never had any actual correspondence that did not go through the U.S. postal service either. Make sure any elderly relatives are aware that any calls like this are a scam and the relative should just hang up. These "people" just want to steal money.

Sorry Dallen (and Prettyfly and others too), I didn't mean to not say something to y'all too, just been really busy with finals this week. Suffice it to say that I have gone back to school with my wife and my oldest son, and, while I'm actually doing pretty well, it's taking some real adjusting to deal with the coursework.P.S. Prettyfly, would you let Fury know that, yes, it's for real and not just a necro thread, but that I was hesitating on posting over there because I suspect I really do have an opinion to share in that particular thread and I still lack the time I believe the topic deserves. I do hope everyone's been well in my absence. I'd try to speak up a bit more here, but I haven't bothered buying skyrim yet and that seems to be almost all that's spoken of lately.

I'd try to speak up a bit more here' date=' but I haven't bothered buying skyrim yet and that seems to be almost all that's spoken of lately.[/quote']Let us not forget the denouncing of rabbit slayers as monstrous criminals. It's an important topic.School, innit fun? Ergh.

Yay school. My gripe; I have to read a whole bunch lengthy novels for my ext histroy project over the summer holidays. Well, maybe its my fault for choosing to do that, but anyway.