• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Sigurð Stormhand

• AndalayBay

Oh, just some guy on Nexus that decided ALB violated his world view on immersion because it had the audacity to tell him why he was in prison. The part BEFORE picking out your new character. :facepalm:

So, in our long-running Steam discussion, I present to you the following internal conversation:"Man, my friend was talking about how awesome Shogun 2: Total War is, and now I want to play a TW game, but my copy of Shogun is somewhere in Kentucky on a truck.""Maybe you should install Medieval 2. It's pretty rad.""It sure is. And I could kill everybody in the face as the Byzantines or something. Cataphracts for the win.""Good move. But didn't you have extreme install issues last time? Like the unholy conquest of Securom or something?""I did. And I really don't want to wave bronze knives at goats to do this. Meh. But hey, Steam's having a sale. I wonder what the game and the xpack would run me.""Looks like it's $6.69.""Considering it took several hours last time I tried installing? And it didn't even work half the time? Yeah, I can get behind $6.69."Which, tl;dr version here, is to say that I just bought a game I already own on Steam, because that would be a better experience for me than actually installing the game off a set of DVDs. Which, you know, really awesome game, but I'm not going to go through 8 installers again on the off chance it works. I'll just do the download, thanks. On my shitty DSL.Also, apropos of precisely nothing, I thought you all might enjoy this:rtw_pha.jpg

I must be the only person left on Earth who would have dug out the disc anyway and installed from there rather than subject myself to the ridiculousness of Valve's stranglehold.

I'll wait 6 weeks just to get a game on disk... I owned the Direct2Drive version of Risen. When I couldn't get the patch because D2D was messing about, I ordered the box version from Amazon.de. I got the game in 5 languages - so I was able to play the patched version and have the German version for practice :P

I must be the only person left on Earth who would have dug out the disc anyway and installed from there rather than subject myself to catching up with technology and making my life easier.
Fixed that for you. :D

What stranglehold? I have actual discs right here if I ever feel like going back to them. I've actually got MORE choice than I had previously.Also, has D2D ever worked well for anyone?Also, here's a better Rome screenshot, since apparently I don't have a single pretty-looking MTW2 screenshot. They're not all pink. Though some of them are about to be on fire:rtw_battle_brutii.jpg

I must be the only person left on Earth who would have dug out the disc anyway and installed from there rather than subject myself to the ridiculousness of Valve's stranglehold.
Me too - but unlike Dwip I know why MIITW wouldn't install on his machine, so I'll be getting my disks out and gloating thatnks.Also, while we're on the topic....Did I mention I was involved with the Rome Total War mod "Europa Barbarorum"?

How Awsome is this, A Cappella Metal (with Orchestra) playing a fantasy MMORPG:

And, one of them is a girl!Seriously, how Awsome?

I must be the only person left on Earth who would have dug out the disc anyway and installed from there rather than subject myself to catching up with technology and making my life easier.
Fixed that for you. :D
Um... no. I realize you were joking but I fail to see how prostrating myself before Valve's whims helps make my life easier. Especially if they on one of those whims decide to ban me and deprive me of access to legally purchased material.I have no qualms about saying that if such a thing were to be forced on me I'd seek a crack to resolve it and be once more free of that kind of Big Brother bullshit.

Me too - but unlike Dwip I know why MIITW wouldn't install on his machine' date=' so I'll be getting my disks out and gloating thatnks.Also' date=' while we're on the topic....Did I mention I was involved with the Rome Total War mod "Europa Barbarorum"?[/quote'']One of these days I really ought to get around to EB. I just got kind of bored with RTW at some point, and M2TW was so shiny...I actually did eventually figure the problem out, but eh, this way I can stop remembering.Also, apparently all of Empire Total War, DLC and all, is $10.39 on Steam right now. Whenever my Kingdoms DL finishes. :P

One of these days I really ought to get around to EB. I just got kind of bored with RTW at some point' date=' and M2TW was so shiny...[/quote']500 units and a map stetching almost to the Hindu Kush didn't do it for you?I was on the Roman faction, but oh the Macedonian Cavalry were beautiful.........the charge.....the death.............the utter collapse of the enemy line.Ahhhh.The problem with MIITW was my DVD drive, I switched it out for a new one, had the same issue with KOTN.Meh, funny type of DVD, or something.

More that by the time it showed up I wasn't really playing a lot of Total War, and when I was, I was indulging my boiling oil and trebuchet fetish.Also, I

EB cavalry are the best TW cavalry ever, just don't let the Hetairoi get bogged down with Hoplites.Our Baktrian Cataphracts are the most awsome ever - ever.Play it Dwip, I'll see you in a month. :biggrin:

OK, Oblivion is badly misbehaving with the audio right now.If I use ALchemy, any occurring NPC conversations cut out when I enter menu mode, and spending an extended period of time in a single interior cell (such as a dungeon) causes footsteps and weapon sounds to gradually stop playing until the next load screen.But if I take Oblivion off the ALchemy list to get rid of those problems, emitted sounds stop playing when I enter menu mode.Is there any solution to this?

I haven't noticed an issue with conversations, but then I've largely been ignoring those anyway until recently after one of them blurted out a clear Skyrim teaser. Much like I'd never really noticed that thing with the Blades talking about their traditional role.I think the sound problem with footsteps is a common bug and ALchemy is actually fixing it to some extent even though even that can't sustain it properly. I've heard of the menu thing before too but I don't think there's a solution to that.Annoying and glitchy to be sure, but short of getting someone to usurp the audio engine the same way OBGE does the graphics engine doesn't seem likely.

Really... Oblivion has some of the worst audio programming I've ever seen in a game.I don't even know which is the lesser of the two evils... ALchemy or just run the sound through the DirectSound emulators in Windows.I think I'll stick to ALchemy, anyways. Paid for the card, so I might as well use it.Then again, it could be my $160.00 fiber-optic Dolby Digital surround headset talking. Those things make it really easy to pick up on audio issues.

Poked around for a bit and went looking for conversations to eavesdrop on. Going in and out of the menu didn't interrupt their audio at all.