• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Sigurð Stormhand

• AndalayBay

May Firefox 4 be burned alive and left in a landfill. Fuck you and your font rendering bug. I shouldn't have to force update to your alpha versions of Firefox 6 to fix this. Assholes should be fixing their current release version instead.

I don't get it... I've been using FF4 for a while now and I don't have any of the issues other people seem to be having...

#%@^%@#! Oblivion install on my gaming computer has just spontaneously died on me. Two hours of work exhausting every possibility I can think of has lead me to re-install Oblivion; fingers crossed.

Ah...ok, this is bad. Is there any specific thing that can cause Oblivion to crash virtually the very moment after you select a save game to load up or start a new game. I've got every esp file and esm file disabled except for Oblivion esm (kinda a no brainer), and the problem sitll occurs whether I use OBSE or not. A re-install of Oblivion made no difference. :headbang:Ok, so I'm not in Hana's shoes but I'm severely pissed off.

Not something dumb like a leftover corrupt ini, is it? Granted that that generally kills it on startup, but.

Oh I feel for you, I really do. Some troubleshooting tips.1) What colour are the saves in Wrye Bash?2) Do you have a UI mod, or map mod you may have missed?3) Open everything in TES4Edit. As the loading spam goes by it can sometimes tell you if it's seeing any errors.4) Same thing if you open the Installers tab in Bash (assuming you do any BAIN installs). Try opening in the CS even.5) Have you checked saves further back?6) Can you create a new character?7) As Dwip says, regenerate your ini.I'll add more if I think of anything else. Good luck hon.

Also worth checking to make sure there's no corrupt meshes in the Data folder. On a clean install there shouldn't be anything there so that should make it easy enough to isolate.It's highly unusual for the game to just up and die though unless you've made some changes.

I'll start from the top up.1) Orange, as I had been doing some installing2) Actually, I'd just reinstalled DarnUI, but that doesn't have an esp (I think)3) Will do4) Those both worked fine.5) Yep, they don't like me eitther.6) No, same problem.7) Tried that, didn't work :sad:Arthmoor; yes, I had been making some changes. I'd grabbed all the DLC's from the back of my user files where I'd stockpiled them (minus Shivering Isles) and installed them via and archive through BAIN, installed a few Open cities patches, reinstalling DarnUI so some text would format properly Thomas's Brina Cross (and notably forgot to uninstall JDNT's Brina Cross, though thats highly unlikely to be the problem), and installed the Kvatch Rebuilt LOD toggler. I originally misinstalled the last one of these, and moved it up in my load order, generated my LOD and went into game. With my current save standing outside Kvatch at the time, things unsurprisingly died on me. So I went back and fixed this as per the readme instructions, however, this made no difference. After that I spent the next while undoing all the above (except for the UI mod, which I wasn't really going to be able to do anything with), however, it was to no avail, so I began trying some of the more drastic stuff mentioned above, but so far I haven't had any luck.

Ok. So. Fonts all look right at the opening menu? You made sure they were set properly after you tried regenerating the ini?There's not a hell of a lot that can crash starting a fresh game short of corrupt assets. If you're running strictly vanilla that shouldn't be an issue. Probably not the most ideal thing, but you should strip the Data folder down to NOTHING but vanilla and then see if it lets you start a new game.

Yeah, I think that's the best option, though its going to be a while before I get the chance to do that.

Ugh, if you have Adobe Flash Player, don't let it update to the new 10.3 .... totally screwy. Lost my upload button in Photobucket, YouTube controls. Had to downgrade it back to 10.2.

Fortunately since I'm using an early beta of 64 bit Firefox I don't have to deal with Flash trying to do that to me. Thanks for the heads up though, Flash does have a tendency to try and update by stealth.UGH. Or maybe I do, damn stealth updates! Looks like bug reporting time, you Mozilla scum. Stealth updates ARE BAD!

That would explain a couple of the more random things I was seeing yesterday.FWIW, no stealth update here. It just came out and asked.

Yeah, it asked me too. Had no reason not to trust it so I did. Mistake.

Typical. Report issue to Mozilla, generic answer: "Firefox did not update Flash". Uh huh. Well Flash didn't update itself, because it didn't ask, and Adobe has ALWAYS asked in some fashion.They ignored the part where I also informed them that their update system didn't ask permission to update adblock either, and this is something I know for a fact it used to do. It's getting to where Firefox may as well be run by Microsoft since they're pulling all the same evil shit we bash them for.

Would this be a good time to note that Microsoft generally asks me before it installs crap, too?Also, good job replicating the IE8 interface, FF4.

Microsoft doesn't ask me first, but then again, I told it to stop doing automatic updates since I like to do my Windows updates manually so I know what's coming.Firefox however appears to be going down the road Google is forging with Chrome. That browser stealth updates itself and never tells you it did so.As far as the interface in FF4, I'm not particularly happy with the default either so I reverted what I could to get back a properly functional menu bar. Lots of people are pissed about it, but again, Firefox seems to want to become Chrome's geeky little brother or something. It's not working out very well IMO and probably explains why Firefox is now bleeding market share to Chrome.

Chrome seems to work OK for me. IE has traditionally worked ok for me, too; but the top of it seems to get cluttered after a while because every site wants to put a tool bar there. I kind of like having the tools on a different tab, not taking up the screen space.Being as I'm the only one in the world that plays it, is there any chance of getting the publican in Frostcrag village to sell alcohol? I mean, what good is a pub where you can't get wasted?

So, Trillian 5. A little underwhelmed.Re: FF4 interface, it's not bad, really. Certainly that layout worked pretty well for me in IE8. Just, well, "driving innovation" and "catching up to the last IE release" are two wholly seperate things and all.And am I the only one who doesn't mind the whole Alt-to-show-menu-bar trend in newer Windows UI? Certainly I wasn't using said menu bar a whole lot in IE beforehand. Still, no option to leave it on by default?Also, re: Dallen, am I the only one who also doesn't let anybody install their toolbar shit in IE?

@Dwip; I don't let those sites install the toolbars either. That said, the rest of my family do which has pretty much driven me over to firefox.

Haven't even opened Trillian in a few days now. Wasn't aware 5 was even that close to done. Not looking forward to having to find a new working skin for it that isn't a piece of shit.Yes, you are the only one who likes this new trend to need the alt key to show the menu. Well, ok, no, you're not. A whole lot of the artsy types who use FF are thrilled about it too. I hate them all. It's not like the garish orange thing saved them any space either. Also Microsoft needs to die in a fire for spurring this movement.Toolbars? People still use those? The only toolbar I have in FF is the web developer one, which comes in handy.

Re: all UI traditions:ie9trillian5ui.jpgThat's my IE9 UI and essentially the stock Trillian UI, which is astonishingly meh. Also note the useless ad, which kind of says everything that needs saying about that. Kind of funny, really. For years I've been saying how I wish Trillian better integrated with the Windows styles, but that was before I saw the mess they'd actually make of it.And as far as menu bars, eh, I dunno. My preference is for the MS Office menu orb thing, but failing that, the IE9/Windows Explorer way of doing things works reasonably for me. I don't use half the stuff in the menus for those programs much, so I'd rather have that much more screen real estate for whatever else. Especially nice in IE.FF's garish orange thing is relatively close to the MS Office orb doohickey, just it's garish orange instead of a color I actually want to look at for extended periods. FWIW, Trillian 5 has almost the same thing, except Trillian's is blue and fits in better with the rest of the UI. Maybe there's a new trend towards this sort of thing? I dunno.