Random Stuff

Arthmoor

FiOS would be awesome, but at this point, I'd be pretty content with Samson's DSL, let alone Dwip's cable. :(Frankly, DirecTV gives me HD that has nothing to do with my internet already, so I don't have to worry about movies being impacted by downloads at all. ;)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Sigurð Stormhand

• AndalayBay

@Conner - Well, he did say we were both rural, so, you know. My last rural connection was DSL that was probably worse than Samson's.@All - Re: continued New Vegas chatter, review is up on my blog.

You know' date=' I think I said somewhere at some time that if someone offered NWN2 for free I'd play it :P So if that's a serious offer I'll take you up on it.[/quote']Yeah definitely! Let me look for the DVD, then I'll PM you :) I remember it was just the DVD and a small pretty booklet/ quick guide only. I think there is a .pdf manual on the DVD. So no box or any nifty gimmicks, it was bundled together with a gfx card I once bought.What I also remember is that after install of the DVD, the game will go online and will look for any patch updates automatically. And there are A LOT of updates (x.x.20 ?). So that ran for considerable time. But was all automated, hence hassle free.I never played the first game. And I don't particularly really recall the interface of NWN2. Which means it was probably neither bad nor good :)

In fact there is a PDF manual on the disc. And yeah, good luck with those updates. They take a while.ObInterface, my review is here. Call it somewhere between the horror of NWN and what Dragon Age gave us. So annoying, but not horridly so.

Dwip, I just read your review of NWN2. What strikes me most is how little recollection I have about the game! :surprised: Even though I played it probably last summer/autumn? I think I just played too much Oblivion and liked OB too much to really like NWN2 thereafter.One of the thing I disliked was that there was a lot of teleporting to places going on, and then the particular level or area was very small and straightforward in terms of where you could move. Very tunnel-like. Usually very little freedom of movement. I remember I could not do much exploring in NWN2, being obviously spoiled from Oblivion.I think the interparty dialogues and interactions were indeed a strong point. Although my experience was muted by the fact that the UI always gave me the feeling of being a spectator rather than actually being personally involved. The eagle's view and 3rd person view I just could not really warm up to. And everything was "small" and "distant" compared to Oblivion.The visuals overall were quite OK, lighting was nice as were the magical effects lightings etc. Yes it was a resource hog but on my dual core E8400, 4GB RAM and ATI 3870 512MB at that time it played very smooth and very stable. So hardware is not an issue nowadays.But as I said earlier, I never saw the endgame. There was this one particular fight (was that in Act 3 already?) I could not figure out how to win it (admittedly I did not try very hard to be creative), and that together with the overall little emotional affection I developed for the game let me bail out prematurely and permanently. :shrug:

The ending of NWN2 disappointed me. But with Obsidian, that's no shocker. They are notorious for having wonderfully crafted stories with horrible endings. However, they have redeemed themselves with F:NV in my eyes. And the ending sucks a little less for NWN2 with Mask of the Betrayer. I never did finish MotB though, maybe I should to see if it has the same flaw.

@Conner - Well' date=' he did say we were both rural, so, you know. My last rural connection was DSL that was probably worse than Samson's.@All - Re: continued New Vegas chatter, review is up on my blog.[/quote']He did. But that's just a matter of which pricing plan you've got going with the DSL, right?Nice review, well written and rather extensive. Already commented on it. ;)Having not played NWN2 yet, I really can't comment on the rest of the posts since then. :(

I wasn't horridly disappointed by the ending of KOTOR2, really, but yeah, the ending to NWN2 is just special levels of bad. That and a couple of the plot doors.F:NV, OTOH, was special levels of good. I have a couple of astonishingly minor complaints about it, but nothing to write home about.I really do need to actually go through MotB one of these days. Maybe I'll go do that now that I've beat F:NV.Also, on the subject of the games of that era, Jade Empire? Anyone?

I never finished NWN2, I gave up during the endgame, I took too many spell casters and couldn't be bothered to re-load.It was good up until then though, it have everything, even teh elf sex. :lol:If F:NV actually has an ending then maybe Obsidion have finally learned how to properly plot games. Have they got over the power-gaming/fanboyism yet though? KOTOR 2 was a special kind of sacralige against KOTOR 1. Clearly they didn't read Conrad's Heart of Darkness before starting on that one.

I didn't find F:NV to be materially different from FO3 as far as balance goes, if that helps. If anything, a lot of things got toned down a little - perks are only every other level, some of the more egregious workbench recipes are harder to get to, and a couple other things.Certainly nothing as over the top as what you could accomplish with lightsabers in KOTOR2, at any rate.(but I liked being over the top munchkin in the KOTOR games, so, uh...)

Somehow I never did end up playing the KOTR games despite there being copies of them in the house.

So, since everyone else was doing it..1141900849.pngDunno if that's good or not but I rarely have any complaints about my cable conn.

@Dwip: I dunno. Just never felt like playing it?@Hana: Gah. This sucks. Damn Verizon monopolies.

Since we're talking about download speeds, I thought I'd mention that I managed to download all of 264mb of Bomrets texture re placer pack of a nexus free server in less than seven minutes, casually flying past the serve cap levels.I can't knock off the feeling that I am cheating...

it have everything' date=' even teh elf sex. :lol:[/quote']Oy, that may be more info than we needed.. :facepalm:
Dunno if that's good or not but I rarely have any complaints about my cable conn.
Yes' date=' it's good.
Since we're talking about download speeds' date=' I thought I'd mention that I managed to download all of 264mb of Bomrets texture re placer pack of a nexus free server in less than seven minutes, casually flying past the serve cap levels.I can't knock off the feeling that I am cheating...[/quote']As it happens, I downloaded a 230mb video of my sister-in-law's church choir for my wife tonight (once my free download window opened) and it only took me 35 minutes to download.. :sigh:Sounds to me like those cap limits are pretty loosely enforced, so if they don't care enough to hard lock them, I wouldn't worry too much about it either. ;)

I'm still trying to figure out how California became the shithole of the internet, at least as far as DSL speeds.

For what it's worth, Dwip was saying that back when he had DSL it was worse than the DSL you've got, but overall, I think it's more about cable generally outperforming DSL rather than about California having crappy DSL. Of course, I could be wrong. ;)

DSL sucks nationwide, it's not just California. That's why Verizon has FiOS, they were tired of losing out to Cable internet providers, and decided to step up their game, and TROUNCE the opposition. Which is why Comcast is now offering XFinity or whatever it is to try and compete with FiOS.

Cable or fibre will ALWAYS be better than DSL, which is over a copper connection and has strict limits. Trust me, I worked for the phone company for 27 years, supporting the DSL network, and never used DSL myself, it's just inferior.

DSL didn't used to suck, and cable companies weren't exactly examples of blazing speed until the last year, maybe two. Even then, DSL was still generally faster up until I'd say about a year ago. Now suddenly Verizon gets all greedy and wants to haul away all their copper and at the same time wants to herd people into using FiOS TV too.At this point though, it's becoming very clear that DSL is the new dial-up. :(

Maybe in California...The SLOWEST Cable package I could get in Harrisburg was 15Mbps. And that was the slowest Comcast offered in the Area. FiOS was a helluva lot cheaper for double+ the speed.

I've definitely seen slower cable speeds than what Kayle's suggesting, but it's been closer to a decade than a year or two, Samson. Hana's right about DSL, it's way better than dial-up could ever be, but it's using the same technology as the old T-1 loops, so inherently limited to far less capacity than cable's capable of. On the other hand, it's also way better than current satellite offerings for way less cost. :shrug:

So, Tommy's package showed up yesterday. Busted it out about 2 hours ago. Twiddling thumbs watching the patch loader go nuts. How many freakin patches does NWN2 have anyway?