Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Easily enough to forget that ever happening here just on bandwidth usage alone. No fucking way am I going to download 10GB. I don't care what game it is. Off chance that Skyrim goes 100% digital download? Guess who's getting an Xbox 360 in November.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Sigurð Stormhand

• AndalayBay

The point of that bit of pedantry is that it was actually only 8.1 GB, not that I expect that makes a lot of difference to you.The further point, of course, is that all of this is absolutely worst case if you bought the retail disc and somehow had to redownload through Steam.Too, I have a hard time imagining a world in which there wouldn't be a retail disc for Skyrim. They've been predicting the death of retail discs for years, but the increasing worthlessness of Gamestop aside, they don't seem to really be going anywhere.

Then why does it blatantly tell you right below there that it downloaded 10GB? I don't get it. Are they lying or just so stupid they can't understand that the stats don't match? It doesn't make a great deal of sense, but as you say, does next to nothing to help in situations like mine where getting that much data in a bit over an hour simply isn't happening.On FiOS, sure, but I'd need the 50/50 plan before it would make it convenient enough to ignore getting ass-raped by Valve.

It is, as I said, called compression.FWIW, it took me about an hour and 40 min to get all that.Also, I just experienced the wonderful world of F:NV .ini corruption. Since the game crashed at about 8 hours played last night and apparently did so badly. First time for everything, I guess.

I forgot what I was going to respond.Oh.I don't know who told you that Verizon removes the copper wires from the house when putting in FiOS, but that's straight up Bullshit. The guy that installed the FiOS box for us in Harrisburg was only in the house for 15-20 minutes, he went to the basement, installed the box on the wall, ran the cables up through the floor to the living room, then outside to some box outside the house, had us sign the paper, called it in for activation, and was out the door. Might have been a half-hour. Regardless, he didn't touch anything else in the house, and he never hinted at how he should have. And we talked about all kinds of stuff while he was working, Hell, I even helped him install the box.[Edit to add:] I very highly doubt my speeds cap out at 250KB/s considering I have a dowload coming in right now at 2MB/s..[Edit 2:]1136758026.png That's with said download running.

Remind me never to move to California then. Although I don't really know why you would want to switch back to copper lines after having fiber ones, but still. The option is nice to have.Still, I had a download going at the same time I ran that Speedtest, that was pulling in at 2 MB/s (yes, I meant that to be a capital B).

Well can we see a speedtest with nothing else impacting it in the background?Also, Verizon policy is generally dictated by what starts here in CA and spreads elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if before long they decide to do this nationwide.

Well, F:NV was pretty awesome. Thanks, epic pistol I picked up from that guy. I will have more to say about this later.

Boys, it's impossible to follow this thread in detail, I'm a quick reader but you guys are even quicker typers...Just one comment on Neverwinter Nights 2: I got the DVD together with a graphics card I bought (was that an Nvidia GT8800?)... installed the game and played until I had to fight two dragons at once. After about 50 deaths and reloads I got sick and tired of it. All fights until then were rather manageable. But I never really warmed up to it anyway, the interface always kept you at a distance away from everything. Never felt a real involvement. Didn't like the graphics too much either. Never bought the add-ons, despite having read positive things about them. I still have the DVD I think, it's catching dust in a cabinet. Oblivion is the just the much better game, modded anyway... If anybody from the core gang wants the NWN2 DVD, just send me a PM and I mail it to you. I'd be happy to, provided I can find it. :grinning:

You know, I think I said somewhere at some time that if someone offered NWN2 for free I'd play it :P So if that's a serious offer I'll take you up on it.I didn't particularly like the way the first NWN handled the interface. Extremely disjointed. Not much hope that the new one is any better, but hey.

Whatever their testing conditions are' date=' it reached very close to the maximum amount. Distance to their LA server probably helped. Ping times don't look so good though.Also, yes, Valve being a subsidiary of a much larger company starts to explain how they've managed to survive this long as a draconian evil bastard.[/quote']I have no idea what testing conditions they use, but you've got me beat by a full megabit/second and your ping times are 4 times better than mine. On the other hand, your upload speed is just barely better than mine. Now you've got my full sympathy. ;)It does, but it also indicates that even if someone took them to court over the practices you've alleged, the actual owners are very well shielded since it's not even just that they're a subsidiary of Activision but rather of Sierra which in turn is Activision's.
That may be' date=' but they're still a small timer in comparison to giants like EA and Bethesda. Yes' date=' they qualify under the rare few I was talking about, but they're beginning to expand beyond their normal reach and when that happens it usually means Bad Things. As in the kind of things one well placed class action lawsuit could topple. They aren't Microsoft. They can't survive a prolonged battle in court against determined class action trial lawyers.[/quote'']Could anyone, I wonder, with the possible exception of EA and Activision. And they're well over 5 years into this whole expansion thing, with well over 30 million Steam subscribers if the quick Wikipedia search is to be believed, and as we all know, that really worked out for Blizzard with WoW's 12 odd million people.So, you know. Maybe not tiny.
The only problem with that thought is that, as I've established, they are actually a subsidiary of Sierra which is a subsidiary of Activision so you're possible exception already took them into account. :shrug:
I currently pay $60/mo for 3Mbit speed and 5 static IPs.
Insofar as I'm paying $65/mo' date=' you' date=' sir, are kind of getting shafted. Which I do believe you realize.[/quote'']Oh, he realizes it. But I'm paying $100.35/monthly for 1.5Mb with 1 static IP, and you saw my 800+ ping time... and you know about my daily download limit. :cry:
I feel kind of embarassed. For some reason I had been laboring under the idea that Samson's internet was equivilent to my own for some years now.
Over the last decade cable's soared well beyond DSL in most regions' date=' and DSL's price hasn't come down for it to match because cable's so much more popular. :shrug: (Btw, those are just sickening numbers compared to what I posted, I'm officially jealous of your cable internet feed now... :alien:)
Wait' date=' for real? How does that work? I mean' date=' I know about the resale stuff, but what?[/quote'']It works that way because if you get FiOS service, they bring a fiber optic connection to the house and put your landline phone service on that in addition to the internet service. That's the only way they do it out here and since they own the copper they have you by the balls once you've committed. There is no turning back as they WILL NOT lay a new copper line in the future, and for that matter, neither will Pacific Bell which is the only other local landline service in this area.This of course works out badly for me as I don't own the landline portion of our setup. I only own the DSL loop attached to it. I do all of my actual phone stuff over my cell. It's the only number I have. Which I see as a good thing because no matter where I move to, I don't actually NEED a landline.
So, what do they do in a situation like yours where you're ordering FiOS for you, but the landline is in someone else's name on another account altogether and they're not getting FiOS? Do they just convert your roommates to fiber and not say anything to them? Do they leave the copper for them and run fiber directly to your room? (I mean, what if you lived in an apartment complex or boarding house and not all the tenants were willing/interested in going to fiber, maybe some folks there want to continue paying for DSL on their own accounts?) What happens if you some day cancel your internet through them but want to keep your phone lines with them (or your "neighbor" tenants do)? Are you all screwed completely because you've canceled your FiOS?
FWIW' date=' it took me about an hour and 40 min to get all that.[/quote']100 minutes to download 8.x gigabytes... Oh, I so hate you... :alien:
Well can we see a speedtest with nothing else impacting it in the background?
Yes' date=' please, I suspect it's not going to be anywhere close to as nice as Dwip's, but that 96ms ping time looked awfully nice in itself...
Boys' date=' it's impossible to follow this thread in detail, I'm a quick reader but you guys are even quicker typers...[/quote']Are you kidding? Between here and Samson's blog they managed to make my RSS reader miss a few posts out of the last 24 hours! :lol::facepalm:(Actually, it has been acting up really badly on me ever since I upgraded Opera to 11.01 a few days ago, I didn't know there were any new posts here or at Samson's blog for most of the last 24 hours. :( )
If anybody from the core gang wants the NWN2 DVD' date=' just send me a PM and I mail it to you. I'd be happy to, provided I can find it. :grinning:[/quote']If you're serious, and not going to send it to Samson since he asked first, I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands. I liked NWN but never got around to buying NWN2...

So, as the temperatures dropped locally into the teens this morning with wind chills awfully close to zero Fahrenheit, the folks who control our statewide power grid ordered rolling blackouts. All day long, starting at about 5:57 this morning, we've been having our power cycled roughly every 45 minutes. Sadly my UPS can only keep things powered for about 23 minutes, which means each time the power came back up I had to go restart everything and got the luxury of being able to enjoy things being back to normal again (if very cold) for about 30 minutes before the power went back out again. Suffice it to say the up times weren't long enough to keep the house's heat up to where we normally keep it. They stopped doing this to us at about 2pm (4 hours ago) and the house's heat still isn't back up to where it should be yet. And they're talking about restarting the blackouts tonight and/or tomorrow. :(Anyway, the reason I'm sharing this is to explain why y'all may not be seeing me much today/tomorrow.. longer if I end up with frostbite from this and need time to be able to regain ability to type...

This here. This is humor. This is the best one I've been able to get this evening due to the high winds storms, and rolling power and cable outages in the area because of said storms. But this is with no downloads or anything going. :D1140148177.png

Conner, at least when they do that to you guys they have a damn good reason. As much as it clearly sucks. Out here, they did that to us for an entire year out of pure greed and nothing more.Kayle, as odd as it sounds, with the storms the way they are my guess would be the transatlantic link wasn't affected and you're close enough to it that traffic to Nuremberg went straight out off the coast instead of being routed all over the place. Apparently you have upload speed that's less than stellar which seems to be a common theme among us all who pay for broadband.

Well, it is Texas as opposed to California, but it really does suck. There's a certain irony to the fact that they're instigating rolling blackouts to deal with the increased heating demands though. Thank goodness we chopped up some firewood this past summer that we can use in our fireplace now.. if we can find enough that's still dry. The one positive point out of it for us is that the schools are all closed because of the rolling blackouts and frigid temperatures so Dragona's classes are all canceled even though they're strictly web based.Regarding Kayle's speedtests, his transatlantic test looks comparable to your fair weather test but my fair weather results looked better than his West Virginia results.

Unfortunately it seems the cold weather took out 7,000 megawatts of capacity. I can't say I blame them for doing what they did. It was either that or very probably let a lot of people get stuck without power for several days and guarantee they freeze to death. I know it sucks, but that's just the reality of it. It doesn't suck any less for us in California in August to have the power down for 3 hours at a time during 110 degree heat waves. At least you have firewood somewhere. Cooling off in an unregulated environment isn't quite so simple.As far as Kayle's speeds. He said he had a download clocking 2MB/s (big B). If that's a regular thing, his internet is at least a 16megabit connection. I did the math the wrong way before. Something of a bitter irony being in a tech oriented metro area and being left in the dust by two people who live in rural areas. Damn you Verizon, just damn you for making FiOS prices so high and your residential services so restrictive.

That's true, and I don't really blame them for doing it either, but I can certainly justify bitching about it easily enough. ;)We've had the all day outage during 110+ degree weather fun here since moving in two years ago too so I can relate all too well.The firewood is strictly a matter of personal advance planning and every stick of it is from my own property, though God knows I didn't intend to need it, I just thought it'd be a good idea in case it got cold enough that the central a/c needed a boost. :(I definitely agree that it's ironic that you'd have the worst connection between you and Dwip and Kayle, but it sounds like between all of us Kayle's got the best connection present conditions not withstanding. From my perspective, it really sucks that of us all, I'm paying the most for my internet and I've got the worst connection. :(

I wonder if I should go to Verizon and tell them the cost of your internet is inversely proportional to the speed of the connection, and therefore I should be allowed to get the 50/50 plan for $10/mo :P

I wonder if I should go to Verizon and tell them the cost of your internet is inversely proportional to the speed of the connection' date=' and therefore I should be allowed to get the 50/50 plan for $10/mo :P[/quote']Hee.Also, to be fair, lack of game stores aside, I do live in the suburban part of a fairly major urban area. So it's not like having high speeds or cable is a total surprise.

Unless I'm missing something on Verizon's site it doesn't look like you can even get FiOS without that including the TV service either. I don't really want that at all, we're quite happy with DirecTV.

@Samson: I have a feeling that Verizon will fail to see the humor in that suggestion... ;):lol:@Dwip: That doesn't give me any less reason for envy of your internet, but I have nothing resembling envy for your suburban life otherwise. I am so pleased with having moved to farm country.. internet's the only thing I miss about city life.@Samson: Wow, that really sucks. We use DirecTV for our TV here too and I've got no complaints at all about them which really surprised me after over a decade of cable TV. Either way, I wouldn't want to have to switch TV providers just to change internet services. I can understand the extreme of swapping copper to fiber and transitioning phone service with the FiOS service, but why does your TV service have to be part and parcel? :(

FiOS TV was so amazing. It was always crystal clear, perfect sound quality, I really miss it a lot over the shitty cable we've got here. I miss FiOS all together. Didn't have the phone service through FiOS, just Internet and TV. God... I miss the nights of downloading 8 different things simultaneously while streaming HD Netflix on the Xbox... *sigh* All downloads have to be stopped here or the quality of the netflix streaming goes down to like Full-Screened Low Rez Youtube quality.