New to the boards

Tommy

Good People of the AFK Mods Board!Good day to Everyone!Arthmoor was so kind as to invite me to join here which I am happily doing. As it is a small group of people here, I thought it may be nice to say Hello quicky.I joined up as "Tommy" which actually is my real (nick) name. I'm "Tommy_H" on the TES forums (same avatar) and "Oblivionplayer437" on Tesnexus. I had to change identity there once for a misdeed.... :redface: I repented but they would not have me back as my old self.... I hope I'm a better person today.... Just a couple of question:- What does AFK stand for?? :thinking:- Is this name now the name, or is it still a name in search of a better one?- Is this a publicly open forum or do you prefer to have it private by invitation only? Just asking if it can be (freely) advertised elsewhere. Cuz' I'm also member on another small board concerning itself with Oblivion, and they are very adamant about who is to join and what's being discussed and stuff... :rolleyes: .... They would also make sure that no search engine ever finds them... anyway all to the point of being no fun to participate there, and practically I'm in permanent exile there, which I find too sad because I find a small clan appealing. I hope to find a more relaxing and encouraging place here. So Thanks for having me! :grinning:

Hey there Tommy! Welcome to the dark side ... er, I mean, our little corner of the internet. aa_wave.gifYou don't know me, I've posted over at BGS once, but I read it every day and recognize your name.Yeah, we're a small little group but open and friendly. No invitations required, we're not that kind of people. We have lots of fun, just wait for Conner's punny comments and you'll soon want that eyeroll emote, lol. If you really want to let loose and have your say you should also join up on Arthmoor's blog. Political correctness be damned over there and everyone's allowed to speak their mind. You'll find other BGS'ers over there too.Basically, over here is an extension of the blog, from a point where we all decided to make a mod together and a blog just wasn't conducive to planning. So, random discussions there, mod discussions here. AFK Mods is our name, and that's based on Dwip's use of AFK in the title of his mods (AFK_Weye is the biggie). AFK has meaning (he can go into it if he wants) but basically it's just a tag.So grab a cup of tea (or coffee), relax and look around. It's a great learning and creative site. Try to keep the trolling out of it and we'll have a good time. :)

*waves hello*Like Hanaisse, I recognize you from Bethsoft. Welcome aboard.Hanaisse has the thing covered pretty well. We haven't ever really bothered to advertise, but we don't bite folks, and as long as people are cool, so are we. Otherwise, just hang out, talk about some mods, make some mods, get some help, give some help, whatever floats your boat.As far as the AFK tag goes, it actually dates back to the MUD codebase Arthmoor and I used to work on back in the day, called AFKMud. Away From Keyboard MUD if you will, named due to the high idle rate of our admins. Like Hanaisse said, I kind of coopted the tag for my mods, and since the original purpose of the forum was discussion for a mod under the AFK_ tag most of us are involved in, well.So yeah. Pull up a chair, join the party.

Welcome aboard, Tommy, it's always great to have fresh blood, er, new faces.. here. :)I do try to provide some levity, especially when I'm in certain moods, but I hope that I don't evoke the rolling your eyes emote too often, despite Hana's warning. I will agree that checking out Samson's (Arthmoor's) blog is very worthwhile too since he's sort of our unofficial leader but this forum is really an offspring of Dwip's more than Arthmoor's. It was ultimately started because a group of us were discussing a concept for a new mod on Samson's blog that was going to be Dwip's project. It got moved to Dwip's blog and then, when it became obvious that we needed a more forum-like structure for the related topics of the mod itself, Samson agreed to setup and host a forums for it and the forums have grown into what we've got now. Basically what we have at this point is an informal small group dealing (mainly) with oblivion mods that are presently works in progress, but we also are very happy to host support threads for released mods made by those here, general oblivion support from masters like Arthmoor/Dwip, and a little personal fun from time to time too.Dwip already covered the AFK tag question, and I don't know if the current name is final now that we've let it go for so long, but we had said we were going to try to find a "better" name at some point and then just never really got back to it so it may not be. As Dwip sort of hinted, we don't mind advertising and are open to the public (as long as they behave in general - if you attack us we'll attack back, if that's not enough, your welcome can be worn out, but generally we don't mind things like argumentative natures and such. We won't tolerate spammers, but citing another site won't phase anyone.)So, as Hana and Dwip have already said, pull up a chair, grab your favorite drink (doesn't have to be tea or coffee, it can be a pan-galactic gargle-blaster if that's what makes you happy), and jump right in wherever you're comfortable. But we definitely like active party-goers much better than wall flowers here. ;)

Welcome Tommy :)The only caveat to the matter of advertising is that the server is parked on my own linux box at home on a limited bandwidth connection. So while we're not going to turn people away, it's not in anyone's best interest if this place ends up filled with too many people to handle the traffic. We don't mind if word gets out, just as long as it doesn't get carried away.Fortunately it seems that the spam bots have decided to leave me alone finally. So at least we have that going for us now. Wonder if I just jinxed it :P

Ok folks, thanks very much for the warm welcome. Since I'm in Europe and have to work tomorrow, it's getting rather late over here. So I say good night and will post a few more lines tomorrow. Take care! :cool:

Wonder if I just jinxed it
Prolly. :lol:
I'm in Europe and have to work tomorrow' date=' it's getting rather late over here.[/quote']If you check the member roster, we've got a couple of others in Europe here too. But have a good night, we'll see you on the morrow. :wave:

Hahaa! Yeah I went to see the members roster but only Dwip, yourself and Arthmoor are saying something about location. :grinning: Anyway I'm in Switzerland where winter started off terrific for all folks who like skiing and snow boarding, as there already is plenty of snow. In fact it is snowing as I type. I'm more into summer activities, so I'm a bit blaaaahhh right now. But there's Oblivion... :grinning:So Hana, you're not actively posting on the Beth TES boards anymore? I don't want to intrude, but why? Got fed up? Really only looking for a one-liner if at all. If not, really no offense taken or anything!! I just am curious. My feelings are a bit torn about BGS: on the one hand I HATE it when FCOM or whatever newbies come on and plea for help because 95% of the times they started modding (murking) and did not read sufficiently beforehand, so now they sit with a screwed up game. But when the boards are pretty quiet like yesterday for example, I think Hmmm... it's pretty boring today... :)As to these boards, Arthmoor and Gang: My use of the word "advertising" was really chosen unwisely, sorry for that. It is not my intention at all, blasting around about the AFK forums and the good people here. It was more like to know if one could mention it without getting ripped for it like what would have happened on that other paranoid board I mentioned. I would envision it more like when we are tossing ideas and suddenly would think: Oh, maybe we should ask XY if he wants to join in on that. In any case I would discuss it beforehand with you. I am absolutely fine with that, because I totally agree that "more" is not necessarily "better", besides possibly creating technical issues for Arthmoor. As to trolling, no, I won't be doing that. I really consider myself a good sportsman in this regard. I'm also pretty good in smelling potential troll posts, I never get into any arguments with those guys. I found out long ago that not replying at all is capital punishment for them and the easiest way to deal with that. More later :)

@Connersince you're in Texas: Is it a trolling question to ask you which is your favorite Texas football team? Houston or Dallas? You're OK that Wade Phillips got fired? Is Jason Garett the Man? :)I'm pretty unbiased since being so far away from it. However I must admit I do like to watch American football. Even though it is insanely violent sometimes. But then again you have teams like the Patriots (or Indy but not this year) who pick you apart in style and I go like, Wao... this is football :stare: The Monday night game against the Jets was ridiculous...Ahh... I'm old enough to remember Emmitt Smith running (and not dancing :) ) and Troy Aikman throwing with Michael Irwin catching, and at that time the Cowboys were truly a great, great team to watch. Today they should be great given their roster but it seems like it has not really worked out yet. Maybe there is a bit of curse with their new stadium... :)OK, enough of that. :)

More ramblings, sorry. Business is slow today (I'm somewhere in banking) so what the heck!Whenever I read or hear Samson which seems to be Arthmoor other ID, I always have to smile because I immediately have an association with the story of "Samson and Dalilah" (spelling varies), obviously. And particularly of it's adaption as an opera by Camille Saint-Saens. If you like classical music and/or opera and do not know this piece of music, I beg you to listen to it when you have a chance! It is one of the most captivating scores ever put together (IMHO). It's just beautiful bordering on transcendent sometimes. It has got this sultry, oriental touch to it and it flows along like a big quiet river... you just have to hear it. Particularly the role of Dalilah, as a mezzosoprano, this is the one role you want to kill for to sing it once.Just saying... :)

Woohoo! Tommy can get us Swiss bank accounts!!!! :lol: (j/k)Switzerland, eh? And you don't ski? Do you eat a lot of chocolate? (hehe, just giggling over the typical "this is what I know about other countries") But snow, yeah I know snow. I'm in Canada, could have sworn I'd updated my profile but I guess not. I won't comment on the football topic, I'm a big baseball fan (Yankees!) and the Canadian football league is a joke so I'll leave that for Conner.As for the BGS boards... it's not a case of not posting anymore, I only actually signed up about two weeks ago (under my full user name Hanaisse) and that was to post I wanted to participate in the ORE Xmas mod challenge. Till then there just wasn't anything that I felt I could offer that other more experienced people could. Maybe it's just my quirk but I find large popular forum sites intimidating so I stay in the background. Other than here I'm fairly active over at TESA, another small-ish community. I'm learning as much as I can about modding Oblivion. My ORE mod will be my first ever release. (Although, little known fact, you can see my work in Arthmoor's Open Cities Reborn - I made the new Chorrol walls. :) )

Yeah I went to see the members roster but only Dwip' date=' yourself and Arthmoor are saying something about location.[/quote']Go figure, some people get so lazy about their profiles... ;)
Anyway I'm in Switzerland where winter started off terrific for all folks who like skiing and snow boarding' date=' as there already is plenty of snow. In fact it is snowing as I type.[/quote']Don't tell my wife that, she'd be trying to convince me to move us there, she's been pestering about wanting snow for weeks now. :lol:
As to these boards' date=' Arthmoor and Gang: My use of the word "advertising" was really chosen unwisely, sorry for that. It is not my intention at all, blasting around about the AFK forums and the good people here. It was more like to know if one could mention it without getting ripped for it like what would have happened on that other paranoid board I mentioned. I would envision it more like when we are tossing ideas and suddenly would think: Oh, maybe we should ask XY if he wants to join in on that. In any case I would discuss it beforehand with you. I am absolutely fine with that, because I totally agree that "more" is not necessarily "better", besides possibly creating technical issues for Arthmoor.[/quote']Nah, it was the right word and we're okay with it, we just don't want all the unwashed masses here. ;)
I'm also pretty good in smelling potential troll posts' date=' I never get into any arguments with those guys. I found out long ago that not replying at all is capital punishment for them and the easiest way to deal with that.[/quote']Sounds about right to me.
@Connersince you're in Texas: Is it a trolling question to ask you which is your favorite Texas football team? Houston or Dallas? You're OK that Wade Phillips got fired? Is Jason Garett the Man? :)I'm pretty unbiased since being so far away from it. However I must admit I do like to watch American football. Even though it is insanely violent sometimes. But then again you have teams like the Patriots (or Indy but not this year) who pick you apart in style and I go like' date=' Wao... this is football :stare: The Monday night game against the Jets was ridiculous...Ahh... I'm old enough to remember Emmitt Smith running (and not dancing :) ) and Troy Aikman throwing with Michael Irwin catching, and at that time the Cowboys were truly a great, great team to watch. Today they should be great given their roster but it seems like it has not really worked out yet. Maybe there is a bit of curse with their new stadium... :)OK, enough of that. :)[/quote']Nope, not trolling at all, but possibly asking the wrong person. I'm really not a sports fan at all, let alone a football fanatic. When I do "root for a team" out here, I generally "support" the Dallas Cowboys, but I was born and raised (mostly) in the Washington, DC area so I started as a Redskins supporter back when folks like Joe Theismann & Bill Brundige & Moses Denson &, well, you get the idea.. were still big stars. Of course, at various times I've also rooted for the Dolphins and some other teams too, but I never really followed the game. I'll just let you and Hana do my job of being a football fan for me. ;)
Whenever I read or hear Samson which seems to be Arthmoor other ID' date=' I always have to smile because I immediately have an association with the story of "Samson and Dalilah" (spelling varies), obviously. And particularly of it's adaption as an opera by Camille Saint-Saens.[/quote']Actually, I think that's where his alternate ID stems from, the biblical story anyway, but I also think of a song when I read/hear it, but not opera: Fire, originally written (for Elvis who died before he got to perform it) and performed by
but also a hit by
... of course it's been recorded by a few others too, but... innocent.gif
I won't comment on the football topic' date=' I'm a big baseball fan (Yankees!) and the Canadian football league is a joke so I'll leave that for Conner.[/quote']Swiss bank accounts, chocolates, and snow all sounds great to me, but don't leave the football stuff to Conner, he's not a football fan.. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Good People of AFK!I just warm-up this old thread of mine, no need to open a new one for following stunning announcement I have to make:I'm pregnant!Whaaaaat?? :stare:No, of course I am not. :grinning:But I'll be onto something almost as adventurous: I will send my old WinXP 32-bit into retirement and I'll be installing Win7 64-bit over the weekend... Well actually thanks to a friendly slightly geeky colleague at work it is installed already and actually running, now from a cute SSD I purchased myself for Christmas. But I need to re-setup my internet connection at home over the weekend and install a bit of software, with Oblivion featuring prominently of course. Then rearrange the "MyDocuments" folders, essentially re-routing all data files to the conventional D: HDD drive, while retaining only the OS, OpenOffice and OB on the SSD. So basically and ideally it's routine stuff, just time-consuming. I don't expect any particular problems as I am quite handy with the PC myself... but in case I'm not around as much in the next few days you know what I'm busy with... :)Yes I know, I will not install OB in C:/Programs but C:/Games/... :) I also need to turn off the UAC of Win7 (don't know at this time where to do that...) If I get the Internet working at home again, I may have a couple of questions regarding BAIN installer directory. I would like to put that also away from the SSD onto the HDD keeping just the installed mod esp's, esm's and resources on the SSD (OB/Data/ folder). I don't know how flexible WB is as to where to store the various data. Same with OBMM.And I want to enable LAA for oblivion. Arthmoor, I know you are using a little software for that. What is the name of this please? I simply want to download the same. Then at least I know it's working. :)So I wave you a hopefully brief temporary good-bye and hopefully see you soon under Win7! Wish me luck :lol:

Cool :) I took the plunge from XP to Win7 around last October. Quite the difference as you'll probably notice from rants around here, lol.Word of advise; You don't need to turn off UAC if you consciously install Ob and all it's minions outside of Program Files. Seriously, don't.You might also want to consider getting mTES4. It's pretty awesome barring a few annoying errors.Thanks for asking about LAA. Now that I have my 8Gigs of RAM I'll need it too. :D

Believe it or not, I'm back already!! At least internet is already working, it's great.(was totally painless to get internet working again!)Talk to you later guys and gals

Windows 7 is about the most painless install experience in the history of life. But then, I remember the bad old days of Win95, so. Enjoy it, the rest of us do, Windows 7 Annoyances thread aside.As long as you don't stick games in Program Files, you don't really need to mess with UAC. Unlike Vista, Win7's UAC won't really try to backstab you. I think Samson's the only one of us who actually turned it off.Couldn't tell you about OBMM, but with Bash you can change the installers directory if you look for it in the ini.I want 8 gigs of RAM too. :|

Hmm. The unread markers have betrayed me and sent me to the wrong part of the thread. We wonder of course why that is since I didn't mess with that code. Anyway....Someone asked about the LAA patch? That's the one I use, simple, effective. A GUI for these sorts of things is always welcome, and it isn't just useful on Oblivion.I don't remember if I actually ended up turning UAC off or not. I avoided that hassle for Oblivion by putting it under C:Games

Since I'm getting an update to my graphics card, maybe I should have a look at getting some more ram too then...I've disabled UAC on my laptop for Fallout 3 (which I can play on that old rig because the game is so much more efficient, while as with Oblivion it was a hopeless task, and was giving me that many installation headaches that I didn't really give a damn about whether or not it was in program files at the time), but I don't think I will for my desktop. There's too much business material on it, so I'll keep taking the C/games approach instead.

I'm pregnant!
Um' date=' gratz to you and the... mother? :facepalm:
But I'll be onto something almost as adventurous: I will send my old WinXP 32-bit into retirement and I'll be installing Win7 64-bit over the weekend...
My wife my venture an argument about that particular comparison' date=' but... :rolleyes:
but in case I'm not around as much in the next few days you know what I'm busy with... :)
Ok' date=' so noted.
So I wave you a hopefully brief temporary good-bye and hopefully see you soon under Win7! Wish me luck :lol:
G'luck! :)
Believe it or not' date=' I'm back already!! At least internet is already working' date=' it's great.[/quote'']Hmm, a whole three hours, not too bad. ;)
Hmm. The unread markers have betrayed me and sent me to the wrong part of the thread. We wonder of course why that is since I didn't mess with that code. Anyway....
Either you let your cookies go stale in the pantry or you forgot the glass of milk to dunk them in. :PAt least, that's my first guess. ;)

Yeah so the PC is actually running quite well by now. The many Windows Update updates are a nuisance... I have set them only to "advise me" and manual install. The amount of additional MB is quite astonishing. I have not even installed IE8 since I like Opera better anyway, yet Windows Update keeps sending IE8 security fixes as well... annoying.I patched the oblivion.exe with the little tool Arthmoor linked - thank you very much for that (this by the way is the color "Royal Blue", just for you) - and am about to start it for the first time now. Before I do I will now try to change the various path in WB for the BAIN installers and so on. Must check out the the MOPY directory... Navigating inside Win7 is a change from XP, although mostly positive I'd say. Overall I quite like it up until this point. I'll come back later again.I hope you all have a lovely Sunday still! See you later :lol:

Microsoft would never compel you to use IE8 (because court orders prohibit that), but they will certainly do all they can to encourage you to use it... ;)Thank you, hopefully your Sunday is just lovely too. :)

The main reason why I don't use the IE browser is first and foremost the constant security bugs they keep finding. I wonder if it is mainly an issue with the IE developers being sloppy, or an issue of every cyber punk being so keen on finding new holes in IE to exploit them. Since it's installation base is so large, it is a welcome target obviously. With Opera and it's installed base of only about 5% (IIRC) of all internet users, it is not very attractive to plan any attacks there when "nobody" is using it. In any case one does not hear much about crimes being done via Opera (and FireFox I suppose), so that is quite comforting. Admittedly Opera does have the one or other compatibility issue sometimes as a few websites (really a few only) do not working fully (Logitech.com is one for example) but it ususally is not an earth-shattering issue or life-or-death necessity.As to restarting the game under Win7 64-bit, to my own surprise it came back fully on the first try! I must say that I was very diligent preparing everything: re-routing the paths of WB, OBMM and OB itself, making previous copies of the whole BAIN, OBMM and Oblivion directories. So I just installed the base game and copied everything else from the backups, including the whole Data folder and OBSE plugins, OSR, BOSS etc. thereby saving me a lot of work by not actually re-installing manually all the mods (about 140 installed).The old savegames started perfectly fine with the new setup, and all mods are working. I just haven't really played yet but will do so later on. I'll be curious to see if the SSD makes a difference with loading stutter in the wilderness. One benefit I noticed already is that the game and savegames load faster than before. Actually it loads instantly, but there are still all he calculations to be done by the CPU before the game is "set free" to play.This was a good excercise in data migration. Despite a fairly complex OB game setup, all went well without hickups. It confirms that with sufficient planning and diligence it is entirely possible to continue the game in the new environment seamlessly from where the old setup ended.Like with my FCOM installation experience, if any of my friendly fellow gamers here feels he/she needs advice or actual help when faced with OB data migration, I'm happy to help! :lol:

I've encountered VERY few web sites that don't work just fine in Opera, and most of those do work just fine in Firefox so I've no reason at all really to use Internet Explorer for anything except testing of my own sites to verify that they look right in every browser I can test them in. :shrug:Gratz! :)