Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Arthmoor

Oh, Kayle, so tell me. How do you feel about EA's Origin system? (Anyone else for that matter too)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

There are thunderclouds boiling in the air over Steam. When the storm arrives, it's not going to be pretty.It's going to go down, make no mistake, and when it does, it's gonna be a HARD fall.All I can hope for is that after the coming Steam disaster (which will happen like it or not, Steam is way too big for its own good now), the rest of the industry will see reason and stop putting all their eggs in one basket.

Don't count on it. Yes, the fall is coming, and it will be huge, but the end result won't be the rosy picture we're all hoping it might. The end result will be that publishers, in their blind ignorance of facts, will more aggressively pursue console gaming.So yes, like it or not, Steam has become the death of PC Gaming. It is now the cancer that has spread and become inoperable, because the patient refused to go see the doctor until it was too late.

I'm not in any way repulsed from the game by the fact that it needs steam, but y'know, really Beth. Is this really necessary.Also, all those people who were praising Pete for making Steam compulsory after his twitter post can absolutely go fuck themselves. Or maybe the Woodland Critter Christmas Critters can do it for them.

I guess I'm one of the few who isn't bothered by this at all. I also hang around with a lot of young people (in their 20's) who think all these online services are fabulous. Even my husband, who's in his 50's, doesn't mind Steam. *shrug*

This should be amusing. I think you all know my feelings on the matter.Re: EA's Origin, two things.1) Fuck you guys for re-using the name of one of the best game developers ever for your shitty platform. Yes, I will be angry at EA forever for various Origin-related shenanigans.2) Unlike some other people I could name, I have no trust that EA will either do things right or make a usable platform.Somewhat in that same vein, I never really got on the Impulse wagon either.

This should be amusing. I think you all know my feelings on the matter.

Re: EA's Origin' date=' two things.

1) Fuck you guys for re-using the name of one of the best game developers ever for your shitty platform. Yes, I will be angry at EA forever for various Origin-related shenanigans.

2) Unlike some other people I could name, I have no trust that EA will either do things right or make a usable platform.

Somewhat in that same vein, I never really got on the Impulse wagon either.[/quote']Systems that require Third Part online activation present the reality that, no matter your emulators, the game will one day be unplayable.Except, of course, that Steam will get cracked as soon as it goes down.So what was the point to begin with?RE EA and Origin: Yeah... Papa needs a new Wing Commander Game, or even a remake of WCIII with updated graphics. Sometimes I wake in a cold sweat because, in my nightmares, my shields are down and my Excalibur's afterburner just got knocked out.

I'm on the fence about Origin. I'm going to get my TOR Early release through Origin, so I'm sure I'll have it at some point. But I don't have any issues with all this stuff. It's just a program, and I'm not going to rehash this argument again.All the bitching about consoles ruining video games, etc. Just to spite you all, I pre-ordered my Skyrim for the 360. Modding isn't worth the headache of listening to you guys all bash one of my favorite ways to game.

I'm on the fence about Origin. I'm going to get my TOR Early release through Origin' date=' so I'm sure I'll have it at some point. But I don't have any issues with all this stuff. It's just a program, and I'm not going to rehash this argument again.

All the bitching about consoles ruining video games, etc. Just to spite you all, I pre-ordered my Skyrim for the 360. Modding isn't worth the headache of listening to you guys all bash one of my favorite ways to game.[/quote']Slow down there Tiger, where did you get the impression we hate the consoles?Consoles are a great way to bring gaming to the masses, but there are still some kinks in the system that need to be ironed out, because despite the popularity of consoles, the PC is still the superior system in terms of hardware AND software capability and flexibility right now. The downside, of course, is that PC gaming requires a heavy commitment to the hobby, one that you don't need to enjoy games on consoles. However, if consoles are to begin competing with the PC in terms of flexibility, the makers are going to need to relax about, for example, allowing people to mod console games.More power to ya if you're getting Skyrim for 360, especially now that Steamworks is confirmed for PC.

If you bought it on 360 to spite us all, epic fail, because as Thomas points out, we don't really care what platform you play it on.It's been pretty well established though that the capabilities of the 360 ARE holding back the advancement of PC Gaming. This will continue until such time as Microsoft sees fit to release an updated unit that can handle DX11, higher resolution graphics, and has more memory on board."It's just a program" applies equally well to viruses, trojans, and other forms of malware. Yet we all object to their presence. Personally, I classify Steam as malware due to the nature of it's function. But we've been over this before.

I'm on the fence about Origin. I'm going to get my TOR Early release through Origin' date=' so I'm sure I'll have it at some point. But I don't have any issues with all this stuff. It's just a program, and I'm not going to rehash this argument again.

All the bitching about consoles ruining video games, etc. Just to spite you all, I pre-ordered my Skyrim for the 360. Modding isn't worth the headache of listening to you guys all bash one of my favorite ways to game.[/quote']Meh, there was a time games were made for the PC then cut down - now they're just cut down.

For those interested, my response to those who bitch and whine about spellmaking being gone:Spellmaking has always been about creativity with what the developers have given you. Always. Never changed.What Bethesda has stated with Skyrim is that they want to try another approach to this, and personally, I'm all for the new spell combination approach. Absolutely nothing different between it and Spellmaking, you are being creative with what the developers have allowed you to be creative with. Yes, it's more restrictive now, but if Skyrim were to come with a multi-cast feature for on-self spells (so you can cast multiple spells from your book at the same time), spellmaking would be rendered nearly completely redundant. That is the new path Bethesda wants to tread, and Skyrim is the testbed for it..So yes, I support this new approach of ACTIVE creativity with spells over spellmaking's PASSIVE creativity. These are GAMES, engaging the player matters. Offers both the option for mages to think on their feet and learn and prepare new tactics and spell combos.

Well' date=' the Beast races look fine, but the elves are horrid.[/quote']The elves look like they did in Morrowind, especially the Dummar, the humans look ok, i.e. human. Don't forget, these are low res pics, what we have seen in-game shows you can make attractive characters, that pale Redguard, for example.

Yeah, definitely getting a Morrowind vibe there. Which is good, because at the moment I'm preferrring the Morrowind look to the Oblivion look.

For those who think Steam is bad, check out what EA is doing for their Origin manager (which they intend to compete with Steam):They reserve the right to "monitor your PC and to make a profile of you," but also detect "illegally downloaded material" and see what websites have been viewed. (snippet from the Origin EULA)I swear, if these corporations don't stop treating everyone like potential criminals, gaming is going to have another meltdown when we, the public, get sick and tired of this bullshit and quit the hobby. I WILL NOT EVER consent to letting people spy on me because they do not trust me to behave with their product. It's asinine. Fuck them.And here I thought EA was turning a new leaf... nope, guess not.

Time to retire your Steam collection then. Folks have been dissecting the EULA from Valve as well and found language that, legally speaking, is exactly the same intent. That whole bit about illegally downloaded material is so they can cover their ass when you pirate an Origin-infected game and they catch you, then ban you. No different to what happens if Valve catches you doing this - except that Valve isn't who you contracted with to buy the game.

It's the same for consoles too. I've been surprised by the number of comments I've seen from people that say they'll get the console version of the game then. If Microsoft detects any modification to the game, they will close down your Microsoft Live account, banning you from the network. I know of people that have had this happen - and they didn't modfiy their games.

They'll also ban you if you modify the box itself and they find out. Sony will do the same if they detect you tampering with PSN as well. Probably with the console itself now too after this lawsuit they filed against that one guy who was modding his box.Imagine if Valve told you you had no right to modify your PC.