Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Arthmoor

This just makes me want to play it all the more. Having to allocate those three points bugged the living hell out of me, and if I wanted to maximize my gains I needed to make sure I got a certain number of blah blah blah.This dropping of the core attributes but leaving everything they affected in via perks and skills... That makes this an even better game in my book. I can't wait till November.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

The loss of attributes doesn't bother me in the slightest so long as they come up with something suitable to replace their function. Which it seems like they are with everything that's been said in the last few months.

I want 100 strength, so I can feel good when I hit people.This shows it is less of an RPG and more an action game.

Ignoring the fact that TES games have always existed far more on the "action" side of things than the "RPG" side of things than several other series I could name, I don't know as I buy the argument. What makes an RPG isn't what you do with the stats, it's what you do with the story. I mean, Ultima VII had an astonishingly basic stats system, and it worked just fine.What we get for story, of course, remains to be seen.

I'm pretty sure Bethesda has always said TES games are "Action RPGs" in their marketing. Or something of a similar type. They've always tried to appeal to the more casual RPG gamer without sacrificing what the hardcore types want.If stats are all you're concerned with and all you think makes up an RPG, then quite possibly TES games have never been right for you to start with.When I hear someone going on about how their character hit level 19 with 17 strength I can't help but think they're more of a strategy gamer than a role player. Stats are nice, but I've never paid huge amounts of attention to them. I rather like the less stat focused approach and I see it as a refinement of their system after Fallout 3. IMO, perks appear to me to provide you with more role fitting choices than stats ever could.

• 3 weeks later...
This game is getting to much like Fallout...do you think they should just call it Fallout 4 and leave it at that
lol

There also seems to have been some kind of outbreak of pokemon threads too. The Skyrim forum is a real mess of complete junk posts most of the time.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what things'll be like when the Modding community kicks off. I suppose we can count on getting more attention than we do with Oblivion, but I don't think its going as civil as the Oblivion community is at the moment. Although for that matter I don't know what the Oblivion community was like at first; it may not have been much different.

The Oblivion community has been pretty much as it is now for as long as I've been there. No reason to suspect it was a cesspool before that. But you're right, I think we can expect the Skyrim modding community to lean more in that direction because of all the nasty people the Fallout games brought in.

The Oblivion community has been pretty much as it is now for as long as I've been there. No reason to suspect it was a cesspool before that. But you're right' date=' I think we can expect the Skyrim modding community to lean more in that direction because of all the nasty people the Fallout games brought in.[/quote']Right at the beginning it was full of whiny bitches complaining about the Oblivion CS not allowing us to add havok etc.

I'm moderately sure at this point that I only partly want to actually play the game, and mostly just want to walk around the scenery going "Ooooh!" a lot. Maybe kill some bears or something.

I second that thought. There's already quite a few places I'm itching to see.

Yeah, it doesn't look like there's anything to complain about graphically. And once we get the hi-res texture packs running :stare:Edit; Guess who decided to go on the Skyrim section of Bethsoft forums again. During the five minutes I could bear to be in the cesspool, I noted a poll on which guild has the worst name and this.

I think Skyrim will fail as a sandbox RPG because of quest markers. I didn't relaise that it was such a problem until I read a post by someone else complaining about the quest markers and making Fallout1/2 sound so much better than Beth's recent games because of the lack of them

For those that missed the live E3 demo this morning; this is footage from xbox.

Huh - that was weird. In one article I read Todd said that the Dark Brotherhood was back. But in that video he said that there are only three factions: Companions (Fighters Guild), College of Winterhold (Mages Guild), and Thieves Guild. Now he did say "main factions"... I wonder if the DB will be back but not joinable?...

Ninja'd! But here's a high-def version of the video that plays way smoother than the one on Youtube: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-elder-scrolls/714852Well worth the view, and wtf, I thought they said this was going to be broadcast later tonight?!? Or is that something different?Also shame on all the idiots on BGS saying the game graphics suck! People, perspective, it's the XBox version and it looks infinitely better than the vanilla version of Oblivion. Just wait until you see PC in high res graphics. If you've seen my Witcher 2 review, I'm expecting Skyrim to be at least that good. Witcher 2 is also a DX9 title so that's a perfectly valid comparison.Oh, and yes, somewhere around on one of the dozens of twitter feeds Todd confirmed the Dark Brotherhood as well. I'm going to be quite unhappy with the idea of not being able to join them. If that's the case I smell an obvious first faction mod brewing!Really wish they'd gotten closer to that big city in the background too. I wanted to see that :P

We've got dibbs!! :lol: Actually we were planning something anyway... So yeah, if they're normally not joinable, then it might make things even more interesting...Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the graphics. I read one article that said that Todd admitted that the game would look far better on PC because of the better graphics and AA.

So:- Hey guys, nobody wants to see Todd's face during a gameplay video. Just FYI.- 360 is noticably less good than previous shots, but even then it's certainly better than the last two Fallout games.- These are probably the first spell graphics in a Bethsoft game I've been enthusiastic about. The little ones were great. The stuff during the dragon fight was totally epic, and I hope I'm not the only one who was like "SWEET!" when the dragon picked up and dropped that guy.

If by dibs you mean us, here, then sure :P Cause if they're not joinable I'm going to be all about jumping on that one as soon as practical after playing the game completely through once or twice. I can't imagine Bethesda not allowing us to join though. They aren't a "main" faction in Oblivion either but obviously one could still join. Todd has also said before and has been confirmed that they'll definitely be in the game which is still a strong indicator toward joinable. Those Morag Tong slime can eat dragon shit!The spell graphics are awesome. Obvious that 5 years worth of time makes for better everything all around. And yes, I thought the whole dragon picking up the giant thing was great. As was the fact that the guards helped, and the shouts had side effects beyond just making the enemy hurt (bookcase in the background in that one dungeon). Also did anyone pay attention to all the rocks, dust, and the gouge the dragon left in the landscape when it crashed?

Ah, you found the HD version, good. It wasn't out yet when I posted the youtube version.It's all awesome, I'm blown away. Yes, my jaw dropped when the dragon tossed that GIANT around. Yikes! And the fact the dragons are totally unscripted and random will make it all the better. Not one of us will have the same experience. The way the hero jumped on the dragon's back to deliver the killing blow (on the frost dragon)... WOW. I also loved the running water in the caves. How cool is that. Am I the only one that's not dumb enough to attack a Mammoth? lolSamson, you're probably thinking about the other upcoming 30 minute (!) demo, that I think is coming either tomorrow night or Wed.

The jumping on the dragon's back thing is the only issue I really have. I'm not a huge fan of "finishing moves" which is what that is. It just feels forced because it's not something YOU can do on your own. I am clearly in a small minority of gamers though and if this is the only real issue the game has we should all be very very happy.

- 360 is noticably less good than previous shots' date=' but even then it's certainly better than the last two Fallout games.[/quote']Everything I've read has said that all screenshots, graphics, and movies released have been from the 360.

You may be correct. Could be something to do with video quality, or maybe I'm just not remembering details correctly.Clearly, they have done a lot of work for the dragons. Work well done.As to the mammoths, you're talking to the guy who runs around jacking Bighorners at random in F:NV, so...