Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Arthmoor

Are you quite certain that's not just a wee bit excessive' date=' mate?

Perhaps after listening to it that many times in a row you're not really hearing it anymore at all and are just beginning to let your brain assign values to the sounds subconsciously?[/quote']Quite possibly, but Beth created a very crude language, I think they called it "streamlined", apparently tense, number, gender, etc. are all contextual, not inflected. Added to that, some of the words ARE just slurred English, Dovakiin "Dova-Kiin" "Dragon-Child", or "Dragon-Kin".It's like when you listen to Norse of Old English and go crosseyed because your brain is trying to process the speech but can't quite get a grip on it.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

True enough, they told us in the article Arthmoor linked that they didn't bother with tense and so forth for the sake of simplicity.I'm not so sure Dova is quite just slurred English for Dragon, but I can see what you're saying about the Kiin part.Um, yeah... :lol:

Sorry I am always late to the discussion...About the youtube video: Is that map supposed to be of Skyrim? Because I see the word "Skyrim" written in the bottom left corner and there is a border to the map we actually see (with the hills and all)... so just wondering. :huh:Then about the SSD:Loading stutter in exterior cells is the last frontier in terms of smooth Oblivion gaming, after you got a decent gfx card, a fast CPU, sufficient memory and a well-maintained load order (Pyffi, cleaning, etc...). Before the SSD, I was very adament (sp?) about always having a nicely defraged HDD but still it would stutter a little bit, especially on horse riding. Nothing was ever to change the way OB loads it's resources. So speedy HD access is really the only way one can possibly change that.My conventional HDD is a good one, Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200RPM single-platter. Not latest tech (2 years old) but HDDs did not get materially faster thereafter (except the WD Velociraptors). I think the reading transfer rate of mine is about 85 MB/sec in practice. Nominally it's faster (around 100 MB) but these benchmarks are mostly under ideal conditions. So 85 MB is probably about a real value. The SSD beats the HDD in two ways: Access times and reading transfer rates. Reading access is really all that matters when gaming. Access time is close to RAM access times (if I can believe what I've been reading), that is pretty much instantly. And actual data throughput is a good double to double-and-a-half vs. a good HDD. The HDD is even more at a disadvantage when it comes to accessing thousands of small, displaced files rather than a few large ones. Because this is when fast access matters the mose, and it is exactly the situation with a game like Oblivion: the need to load lots and lots of relatively small resource files.So not only will the SSD read a multiple amount of data per unit of time but it actually shuffles at least twice as much over the bus into the RAM for processing. This is what you notice as a user. Any application will pretty much load instantly. If I open the Opera browser it takes as long as opening Notepad used to take. It's quite ridiculous.Now OB also starts-up faster but since the CPU has quite a lot of processing to do prior to reaching the main menu it still takes some time. The SSD cannot help that. However during a gaming session you really, really notice the fast re-loading, or the absence of loading stutter rather. In term of playability it's a big gain in that once you have it, you don't want to go back to a HDD.As to pricing, we need not debate the fact that SSD prices per GB is still high, if not as high as they used to be. My SSD is an OCZ Vertex2 60GB and it cost 150 swiss francs which was about $150 USD in December when I bought it. It's already a bit cheaper now at Sw.Fr 140 (about $140) ATM here. So it's like $2+ for a GB whereas HDD is $100 (or less?) for 2 TB which is like 5 cents per GB (if I calculate correctly), so big difference, no question about it.However the way I saw it when buying the SSD was not the price vs. a HDD, because then I'd never be buying one at all, but the price in itself, asking myself how much is $150 for an item that I'll be actively using and enjoying A LOT for the next 2 or 3 years, and how many other ways I could think of spending $150 on... At least here in Zurich $150 will not even get you a fancy dinner with your girlfriend. You'll get a nice, comfy dinner but nothing fancy or extraordinary (yes dining out is expensive here). Then some people buy $150 sunglasses (or whatever), I buy a $150 SSD... I understand others may have completely different view on it, but for me $150 to invest in one of my hobbies looked like an OK deal. innocent.gif

Skyrim art update. Some really cool looking stuff in the background of the video. Also confirmation in there that all of the races will be back for the game, so no worrying about being stuck playing a Nord or something :P

No worries, we're flexible about folks joining in. ;)Yup, it's Skyrim as far as we all know.Hmm, I hadn't realized it would make that much of a difference, but, honestly, given that I don't normally notice that stutter anyway, even on my laptop, I guess I won't be investing in a SSD just yet.OMG! :blink: $150 won't get you a decent dinner? And you'd consider that much for a pair of sunglasses?!? Damn, around here I consider paying $60 for a full tank of gas painful... and dinner for the five of us is overpriced in my mind if it costs me more than $75-80, but of course most places don't charge much, if anything, for the two kids under 5 years old...I can agree that $150 isn't that much to invest in your hobby, but I can't afford to blow that much on a hard drive and even if I could, I'd never convince my wife that I needed it and she didn't. ;)

People were worried for some reason we wouldn't get all the races?Note the bit about character customization. Face paint? Decals? Scars? Could be awesome.

Yes, yes it could. It could also get excessive and silly depending on how many NPCs have these. I wonder if Bethesda just went around and snapped up mods though :PYeah, people actually were starting to worry they'd be forced to play as a male Nord. Me, I'd be entirely cool with that for one run through the game and may just do that.

:shrug: I like variety, but there've been plenty of games before that were good even though they didn't give you a choice in race (or anything else to customize your main character, for that matter).

I love me Nords, so I was always happy anyway. An Argonian hero in Skyrim? Just too weird. :blink:The customization features are gonna be cool.

Yes' date=' yes it could. It could also get excessive and silly depending on how many NPCs have these. I wonder if Bethesda just went around and snapped up mods though :P

Yeah, people actually were starting to worry they'd be forced to play as a male Nord. Me, I'd be entirely cool with that for one run through the game and may just do that.[/quote']Good to hear that they are putting some effort into charactar customisation, Oblivion was just woeful on that score. what I really want though is the ability to get tattoos and a beard in-game, like Fable.As far as playing a male Nord, I can't see how a non-human would even have these "Dragon Shouts", given that they seem to be linked to the Gods' gift to Allessia.

I must be one of those rare breeds who doesn't do a lot of customization. Since I never see myself in the game once the chargen process is done. See, I play exclusively in 1st person. Always do in games that actually give you that and it works properly. I've never been a big fan of over the shoulder views on your guy since it detracts from feeling as though it's you and not some remote controlled drone.Now, if they give us mirrors in the game to see ourselves with, that's a whole other thing. I wonder if they've thought about that. Seeing your own reflection in mirrors or on the water would rock.

Nice video, thanks ArthmoorWell... how can Skyrim now not become the best game ever??? :) You know, it could be kinda interesting to archive all these videos and grand words and all, and review them once the game is out and we played a little with it... for all the greatness they put out, there must be some rotten tomatoes in there somewhere, no?Anyway, looking forward to it big time.

Well, I think Oblivion was looking like being the greatest game ever when they started putting out the first info about it, but it turned out to have some serious flaws when it was released. And I imagine that skyrim will also have issues to go with it one way or another. But Fortunately, Bethesda has a fail safe, and thats modders. They've turned Oblivion into the greatest gaming experience available and I've got no doubt they will be able to do it to Skyrim as well.Otherwise, on Nords and mirrors...I would be just fine being stuck playing a male Nord as Nords have always been my favorite race to play as, but I'm certainly not upset about the availability of choice. As for mirrors; thats actually an awesome idea, now that I think about...

I love me Nords' date=' so I was always happy anyway. An Argonian hero in Skyrim? Just too weird. :blink:[/quote']Yeah, you and those Nords...Why not? Someone's gotta step-up. :P
what I really want though is the ability to get tattoos and a beard in-game' date=' like Fable.As far as playing a male Nord, I can't see how a non-human would even have these "Dragon Shouts", given that they seem to be linked to the Gods' gift to Allessia.[/quote']Being able to get a beard and/or tattoos might be interesting, but as Samson points out, while you can't really see yourself in game anyway, what difference does your appearance really make anyway?I would think nearly the opposite, wouldn't non-humans at least be closer to dragonkind than humans to start with? At least they're already used to making non-human sounds to begin with...
I must be one of those rare breeds who doesn't do a lot of customization. Since I never see myself in the game once the chargen process is done. See' date=' I play exclusively in 1st person. Always do in games that actually give you that [i']and it works properly[/i]. I've never been a big fan of over the shoulder views on your guy since it detracts from feeling as though it's you and not some remote controlled drone.Now, if they give us mirrors in the game to see ourselves with, that's a whole other thing. I wonder if they've thought about that. Seeing your own reflection in mirrors or on the water would rock.
Totally agree. In games that let you customize your appearance I always do the first time and then get really disappointed when you can't even see it anyway in-game because you're playing first person anyway. At least in Doom III you could occasionally see yourself in a mirror, but you also couldn't customize your character there so it's not like you were seeing what you'd made yourself look like anyway. :shrug:I've played a few other games that had a "vanity" mode where you could see yourself but not move or do anything other than spin around your character while in that mode, but I'm just not vain enough about my characters to utilize that mode more than once or twice for the sake of interesting screen shots. :(
Bethesda has a fail safe' date=' and thats modders.[/quote']Um, yeah, like Giskard, right? ;)
I'm certainly not upset about the availability of choice.
Seconded. :)
As for mirrors; thats actually an awesome idea' date=' now that I think about...[/quote']Yes, it is, particularly if they really show you as you've customized and taking into account all that you're wearing/wielding and so forth properly. But then, if they're going to put that much detail into it, why not give us a multi-player option too already? :shrug:

Or let's not have multi-player and stay focused on what makes TES games great.

Or let's not have multi-player and stay focused on what makes TES games great.
Indeed. Bethesda are a blessing in that they ensure that the TES games by and large keep to the expectations of the devoted cult following the series has (and have seemed to lump Fallout in that bubble, for good measure).

While I could well imagine myself playing with a friend in cooperative mode against the AI, I don't think this is what Beth will do with TES V. I think they want it to be single-person and single-person and that's it. And I would agree with them. As Samson says go with your strengths, Beth.If I wanted multiplayer, I'd go WOW I guess (never played that) or Everquest or something. I think an online game à la WOW is not doable with TES 5 anyway. We could forget about the nice graphics very quickly, wouldn't we?And.... were there not a good while ago (more than a year) some rumors or even announcements that Beth was developing an "online TES" game? They received additional big bucks funding and purchased another studio or something.... Don't know how far they got with that project. I have not heard of it again, but I'm not following the gaming news all too closely...

Samson, while I can fully appreciate the sentiment you're expressing, I have to wonder what, exactly, are those qualities that you feel make TES games great? If you don't mind my asking...Yes, prettyfly, that's very true, but I am thinking of Fallout along with Skyrim in my expressed sentiment. (Which, for the record, was not a blatant "request" for multi-player, but that if they were going to do to the detail required to make mirrors work properly in-game even with full customization and gear options, why not also take a step further and allow LAN based multi-player (maybe 1-3 extra players in cooperative mode only)?) I love the Fallout series, and I've very much enjoyed Oblivion, but I'd be ecstatic if I could share them with my wife without us simply each playing a separate game as an isolated gaming experience side by side.You hit my desires dead on, Tommy. I'm not looking for Skyrim to become a MMORPG (Please don't go there...), just to have coop mode for more than one player via LAN would be quite sufficient. If it remains single player, as it undoubtedly will, the elder scrolls series has been great so far as such so I have to assume it'll continue to be such, but that'd be my personal gaming style preference. :shrug:

The concept of being able to do co-op doesn't bother me, the reason I get irksome about it is that I've seen so many great games lose there single player value because the developers have turned to multiplayer options (case in point; Halo).And I think we can rest assured that Bethesda would be happier going under than turning the future of TES into MMORPG's

I don't even want co-op mode. That would almost certainly mean the death of modding because it would be near impossible to get a system setup to handle that across network links.TES games only survive past their expiration dates because of mods, and Bethesda knows this. They're letting us know they know this by having told us the CK is coming out.

I don't even want co-op mode. That would almost certainly mean the death of modding because it would be near impossible to get a system setup to handle that across network links.

TES games only survive past their expiration dates because of mods' date=' and Bethesda knows this. They're letting us know they know this by having told us the CK is coming out.[/quote']Halo exists only for the purpose of shotgunning space-zombies and bludgening mooks to death via pistol whipping.

So. There's buzz going about that Skyrim won't include a custom spell maker. I could care less, to be honest, but does anyone here think this is a bad idea?The one in Morrowind was pure munchkin. Oblivion's worked, but was sort of blah unless you found just the right tweaks. Arena and Daggerfall, don't really remember other than my having made one HUGE fireball spell in Arena that killed anything it touched, except for the glitchy unkillable iron golems.

I don't think the game would lose so much by adding a cooperative multi-player mode, personally, but I will concede Samson's point that modding would be much more difficult if it were multi-player, though I suspect that it would be far from ruinous.Either way, I do like Bethesda's titles that I've tried so far as single player mode, I just wish I could more easily share them with my wife. :shrug:Not being a particularly avid Halo player/fan (I've got a very old copy of it installed on one of my computers and played it in single player mode a few times years ago), I can't fully argue with Sigurd's statement, but it sounds like a bit of a harsh judgment to my ear.

Wow, nicely timed, Samson... :ninja::shrug: Personally, I can do without player made spells anyway, though my son did seem to find great enjoyment from some mod he'd found which supposedly endowed Oblivion with a slew of spells taken directly from AD&D.