Windows 7 Annoyance

Arthmoor

Re: Toolbars, say what now?You have described almost perfectly the reason why pinning is the devil.Also that whole business where if you want two explorer or two IE windows or whatever, it's faster to use a toolbar icon than a jump list from your pinned shortcut.Also, just for the record for some reason:

If that's your quick launch, you're a nut job :PThe breadcrumbs aren't that big a deal. Click into where they are, you get the normal slashes.

Also, consider yourself lucky on the folder settings. Guess what JUST happened when I went to look at a folder full of screenshots. Yep, it displayed them as the default list rather than with image icons like I'd told it. So it looks like they still haven't fixed that bug after all these years.

I'm not overly fond of the new path display, but as Samson points out, you can click anywhere in the address bar to see it old style. :shrug:Um, I don't know what even might be wrong with Dwip's quick launch area, you should see mine. Basically I have all my games on the desktop and everything else in quick launch... :whistle:Functional backup sounds like a plus.Based on the article/review that Dwip linked, there's little to like about Win7. :sad:What a shocker on the folder settings thing. :rolleyes:

But why, O Fearless Leader, am I nutjob? Pretty much everything I use bar games is in those toolbars, which means completely minimal leaping around on my desktop. It's great.And Conner, that guy's full review is a markedly different read, much more in tune with what the rest of us have been saying.As to the path display, I'm more or less just annoyed by it. But a lot less annoyed than I was trying to do anything in Vista's version of Explorer. That annoyed the hell out of me.

Interesting (and really quite lengthy) review. Basically, if I decide to upgrade to Windows 7, I'd need two $150 family packs or six $120 upgrade versions of Home Premium, but it still might benefit me to install at least one or two of those as Professional (for $200) or Ultimate (for $220) instead so I could gain access to the network backup feature and the XP mode (oddly enough, the XP mode would be most useful on my kids' computers that tend to run older software more regularly). That's a lot of money for an upgrade that may or may not even be worth the price overall for me. Not to mention the mandatory cost of upgrading to a touch screen on my wife's desktop computer and the likelihood of having to subsequently upgrade to laptops with touch screens as well... Bottom line: nope, I definitely can't afford the upgrade right now. But, as you pointed out, his overall review does fare closely to y'all's opinions.

Dwip, you're a nutjob because there's no reason to clutter up the quick-launch with so much crud when there's that nifty one-click thing that gives you access to the desktop icons without forcing you to actually view it. It looks like two arrows pointing to the right, I don't recall if it's there by default or not.

@Conner - Why would you need the touch screen stuff?@Samson - I have that thing on the bar, too, though I hardly ever use it. Thing is is that my desktop is a pretty cluttered place because I don't use it much. The toolbars (there are two, only one is quick launch) give me a little bit more control/organization over things. Also I've been operating with toolbars since I had to write my own in Win95, so, you know. Old habits and all that. Works really well for me, although I need to seperate the Oblivion stuff from the D&D stuff some year.

@Samson: In Vista, I can have the whole desktop accessible (complete with directory branching) via the toolbars on the task bar, but I've divided my icons so that my desktop only has my games and my quick launch has everything else. Why would that be a bad thing? (If I want to, I can shorten the space the quick launch occupies and have the little double arrows thing going on too, but there really aren't that many icons in my quick launch anyway...) :shrug:@Dwip: Basically, since we got touch screen based "smart" phones, Dragona's been pestering me about her wanting a touch screen for her computer (she still wants a "big" screen monitor but also a smaller touch screen monitor that she can use instead of her mouse and keyboard. She's going to be very disappointed if I ever find a way to give in to her request when she figures out that the touch screen part will only work with Windows 7 and not Ubuntu though...) ;)

• 2 months later...

So who's the jackass at Microsoft that got rid of the "invert selection" option in the explorer? That was a pretty handy thing to have and now it's just gone?

No idea, but that's a really stupid idea. It was one of Windows Explorer's best features, next thing you know they'll get rid of the ability to ctrl-select things to so you have to do all multiple file operations by shift-select only. :facepalm:At that rate, third-party file managers will finally flourish, I suppose. ...In fact, I don't know if it'd work under Windows 7, but there's always options like Servant Salamander or ...hey, this one might work out even better for you: How can i start norton commander on windows 7. Either way, good luck and do let us know your results so we can benefit fom your being a guinea pig. ;)