Windows 7 Annoyance

Arthmoor

Ok, this has gone on long enough that I want to find out if I'm alone in this.Do any of you who use 7 get annoying things like:* Programs declaring they're "not responding" after barely a couple of seconds?* Explorer making the file tree jump to the bottom of the screen if you click on a folder, THEN hit the little arrow to open it?* Explorer displaying the contents of a folder you might have closed, nearly resulting in the deletion of the wrong folder?Is this just me, or part of Microsoft's mission to create the worst UI experience ever?

I get the folder contents thing every so often. Only a few times, though. Haven't seen the others at all. File trees work precisely how I think they ought to.Also, Vista disputes your claim.

There's no setting in Explorer to make it SHOW you what your highlight bar is currently sitting on? That would remove the biggest annoyance of all, although I have to say, the tree thing is incredibly disruptive.Also the no response thing, Jesus Christ, it's been 2-3 seconds. Give the program a little time.

The no response thing, happens all the time when I rebuild my bash patch. PLUS, the Bash window will jump behind whatever other window I have open, usually FF, when it goes no response. Not only that, the little bash patch window disappears for about 5 seconds when I go looking for it.

Bash does it most often, but the CS does too when you're loading a mod, and I've had it happen while zipping an archive and a few other things.

So, on this no response thing, are we talking a change to the title bar until the program does something Windows recognizes as activity again or are we talking something more disruptive than that? Do you get an annoying pop-up or does windows actually try to shut down the "non-responsive" program for you?

It does the "Not Responding" thing on the title bar, then like a second later, you get the blue tiwrly circle, and if it goes on another mere two seconds or so, Windows has this super irritating tendency to jump to another task that's on the task bar, or to the desktop if nothing else was up. The program is still running, but the OS isn't even giving it the benefit of the doubt before shoving it aside. XP never did this.

As they say, pics = 1000 words, so...Here's an example of #3:annoyance1.jpgIn the real world, we shouldn't still be seeing the "m" folder as its several levels down from the top level "KR" folder, yet clearly the KR tree is now closed. WTF Windows?

Yeah, that thing is annoying when it happens. Does so far more rarely for me than it seems to for you though.Finally figured out what you meant by the highlight/click. It happens, but I trained myself out of it. Which is not to say I really love the new explorer all that much, because I don't, but.(File Manager FTW!)Never seen the not responding thing, or if I did it's something I went to the trouble of finding a fix for way back when. Google and all that?

Tried Google. All I ran into were hits for how to solve it for legit app hangs and 99% of them were registry fixes that don't apply to me since I don't even have the keys they're talking about needing to remove.

Vista does that with the non-responsive window thing except that it doesn't arbitrarily background the task. Even the way Vista handles it is annoying, I can only imagine how frustrating the added behavior must be. :(Nice pic. No, at that point one wouldn't expect to still see the M folder.

Another one ... having to "refresh" an open folder if you move or download something to it while looking at it.

It really is that much better than Vista, at least performance-wise. Otherwise it's sort of like the difference between Win95 and Win98. More or less the same, just one of them worked a whole lot better. Only Win7 has a better margin for competence than Win98. Or something.

Another one ... having to "refresh" an open folder if you move or download something to it while looking at it.
+1 on this blasted annoyance as well. Can't believe I forgot to rant about it too :P

I don't know, Dwip, given the types of complaints that Hana & Samson have voiced, I'm not certain that the performance gains are worth the annoyance factor. You'd think, with all the hype Win7 has had that it'd be more than just a bit of performance gain. After all, it's not really like Vista's performance was all that bad for a Windows experience to begin with.

Some days I wish I still had XP.More rants;- Speaking of fonts, half of the good ones are gone, replaced with a plethora of foreign fonts.- Does anyone else see this in place of backslashes in some programs and menus? Or am I missing something to make it normal?

I haven't looked at the fonts, but I usually don't care about those anyway.No, I don't have that issue with backslashes in title bars.@Conner: The gains in performance are worth it, even over XP. I can't compare to Vista because I wasn't fooled into being an MS beta tester. The annoyances I've ranted about are limited to the Explorer, which gets used a lot, but it's definitely not everything.They did get stuff right too, even little stuff. Like you can drag your taskbar thingies around to rearrange them. The show desktop button is no longer crap. They incorporated a button in the status bar to bring up your desktop shortcuts without having to go to the desktop. I had a program in XP called TrayMenu that used to do that. The general look of the OS is much improved. It's not like staring at candyland anymore (assuming default XP theme).Obviously the main reason I went to 7 was for the 64-bit support to be able to break the 2GB memory barrier on Oblivion. Yes, I bought a new OS primarily to support one game I was already overloading :)

I got pretty vast improvements with 7 over Vista, which I understand is...moderately typical. I thought Vista ran fairly well for me, but 7 is way better.No idea about the backslashes thing. Some bizzare artifact of your recent troubles?I kind of like the new start menu myself. And it's astonishing how useful the thing where you can move a window to one side of the screen and automatically resize it to take up half the screen is. I'm sure that in the time before that feature, I somehow managed to survive, but I am unsure how.That whole pinning icons to the taskbar thing remains deeply silly, however.And personally I find the Win7 explorer a...reasonable improvement over the mountains of bogus shit I had to deal with in the Vista version. I still wish we had the good old days of the XP version in some ways, but. Kind of hate the breadcrumbs thing. At least it doesn't lose my damned folder settings all the time. I'll keep it for that alone.

I don't know, Vista's working pretty well for me too and Windows 7 is still in it's earliest rendition (which means, Samson, you're still beta testing for M$ anyway), maybe I'll upgrade once SP1 or SP2 comes out for Win7, but I couldn't afford to do it now even if I did want to.The idea of putting all your desktop icons on the task bar is easy enough to do in Vista, just right click on the task bar, go up to Toolbars and select Desktop. :shrug:The trick of having windows auto resize to half screen was one of their better new cool features, but it's not like I can't manually accomplish it already.. even in Win 3.1 I could do that.Being able to drag task bar items around is another nice one, though the task bar item previews thing is something I've already got in Vista too.Themes are not really relevant, you can alter the appearance of windows in all sorts of ways without even bothering with a separate theme if the default appearance isn't to your liking. When I ran XP, I believe I had a mostly black theme going. :whistle:As for 64-bit support, I'm already running Vista 64-bit (also on SP2, incidentally) anyway, is there a difference worth note?Regarding the Yen symbol, in Windows 95-Vista you could change the fonts from the screen properties, advances properties menu. Have you tried that yet?I'm not sure what difference they've made to the start menu, but I've gotten used to seeing that change slightly in each new version of Windows since 95 came out.Pinning icons to the taskbar? Is that the desktop menu on the taskbar thing or something else?Breadcrumbs? Do you mean the desktop.ini files everywhere?Yeah, being able to have folders actually stay the way you set them is one thing I miss from XP about Vista, but I don't know that, alone, that's worth the price of Windows 7 for me. :thinking:Suffice it to say, from what I've heard about Windows 7, I'm not in a hurry to go donate to M$'s cause just yet but I certainly know that I'll eventually get there.

Re: Taskbar, the pinning thing I'm talking about is described here. For myself, I'm still using toolbars, and lots of them.Re: Breadcrumbs, I mean the Vista/7 way of doing paths like "Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Games > Oblivion > Data" instead of the old style paths with backslashes, which doesn't really add any value to me. OTOH, at least they did away with the My Computer BS.And at least somebody got folders to stay put in XP. I never could.As to beta testing for MS, I dunno. We may be, but even baseline Win7 is pretty polished. I don't feel at all bad about it.Oh, another thing I like. Backup functionality that actually works like it ought to for the most part.

Toolbars = virus elves.I'll admit I like the pinning, saves a billion shortcuts on the desktop. OTOH I would like to have seen a more obvious separator between the pinned icons and icons of programs I have open. I don't know how many times I've not noticed the ever so slight 'highlight' of an open pinned program and tried to shut down with them still running.Desktop display theme I can't get to my liking either. And Conner you may be right. It might be one of the foreign fonts I choose for desktop making the little yen symbols. I really should pull all my (normal) favs off my old HD and move them over.