Wheel of Time

Dwip

Civ dropped on Tuesday. That and my pre-new book release reread of all 13 Wheel of Time books are pretty much what I've been doing with my week. Well, that and the quest for drawer slides and formica laminate.So far I'm 16 hours and 2.5 games in, and enjoying myself enormously.

The 14th Wheel of Time book is out?? You don't suppose they'll finally bring that series to a conclusion so we all can learn how the final battle turns out, do you?

Wow, I'll have to see about convincing my local library to get a copy as soon as they can then, I feel like I've been waiting three years for book 14.. and book 15 is only going to take another year after that. Odd, but, if we finally get a conclusion, maybe it'll have been worth the wait. ;)

You've read up through The Gathering Storm, I presume.I've been reading this series long enough that I see year long waits for books and cheer. When you've been waiting for new books since 1994, what's another year, really? :P

Yes, I have.I agree, a single year between books is not a bad thing at all, but only having a year to wait for the next on after several years for this one seems ..off.

A little less so, considering:- Jordan did kind of die in the middle of things, there;- But he did spend a fair amount of time getting things in order for the last 3 books before he died;- Sanderson is apparently some kind of amazing writing machine.In any case we're getting back to the pace of the first 7 books, which is nice.

Well, I'd have agreed entirely if we were talking about the previous book being delayed due to Jordan's death but Sanderson really didn't delay on that one by much and the next one after this is apparently coming quite quickly too. It's the delay in getting this one that I think seems untimely. Either way, at least it's finally almost here now. :shrug:As for Jordan having gotten things in order for the last three books, a few of the books between 9 and 13 felt a bit like he was really stretching things to avoid having to bring us to the final conflict already. I'm really hoping that Sanderson hasn't done that to us in book 14.

Re: Hanaisse, :innocent:Re: Conner, what I'm saying is that Jordan managed to do a bunch of pre-writing on the last three books (Gathering Storm/Towers of Midnight/???), which is one of the reason Sanderson is able to crank them so fast. The 4 year gap between Knife of Dreams and Gathering Storm is, of course, understandable in light of the whole Jordan got sick and died tragedy. The 5 book Crown of Swords-Crossroads stretch was 2 years a book or so (thank you Jordan losing track of his story), every single one of which I had to wait for, so the 1 year per book stretch for Towers of Midnight/whatever the last one is looks pretty damn good to me.

Oh, Damn, I'm sorry, Hana, you mean HDR wasn't a reference to Hawkwing's Divine Rebirth as Rand al'Thor? My bad... ;)Dwip, the last book is scheduled to be released as A Memory Of Light, at least according to wikipedia. As for the rest of what you're saying, I understand entirely (though I read the first 10 books all back to back for the first time right after Crossroads of Twilight was released and have since read the rest as they came out) because I've had to wait like that for other series too. For example, I started reading the Gor series back in the early 80s (if you hit the wikipedia page I've linked for you, you'll notice a 7 year gap between books 26 & 27). And some other writers are pretty good about having extended gaps every now and then in their series as well. On the other hand, if you want to talk about writers who crank books out, check out Mercedes Lackey's works.. especially with regard to the Valdemar series...

Civ dropped on Tuesday. That and my pre-new book release reread of all 13 Wheel of Time books are pretty much what I've been doing with my week. Well' date=' that and the quest for drawer slides and formica laminate.

So far I'm 16 hours and 2.5 games in, and enjoying myself enormously.[/quote']CRAP!I still haven't reserved Towers of Midnight, I'll do that tomorrow before I pay the rent money into my bank account.

:lol: I'd join you in that effort, but unless I get the job I recently applied for (thanks for the lead, Dwip!), I can't afford my own copy yet so I'll be expecting to await it's arrival at my local library. :shrug:

You'd think Hawkwing would be reborn as Mat, if anyone. Rand's got enough going on in that department. ;)Good luck on the job. I start tomorrow, myself. Exciting. And a little strange, having been unemployed for a year and change.

CRAP! I still haven't reserved Towers of Midnight' date=' I'll do that tomorrow before I pay the rent money into my bank account.[/quote']WoT before rent. Exactly. :D

That's a definite bonus, Sigurd. On the other hand, if I can hold out (or if financially forced to hold out) til a few folks have finished reading it, I can get it used on Amazon for a quarter price or even less. :P ;)Hmm, seems my last post that was to this thread never got moved from the other thread. Arthmoor must've missed it. :(

Hardcover is $16 and change on Amazon, which is a nice price. Of course for myself, this is the one series I ALWAYS buy hardcover for, on release day. Tradition and all that.Speaking of hardcovers, I apparently need to replace my Lord of Chaos first edition that's now breaking apart at the spine. *sigh* Already replaced all my paperbacks for the first five books, so I guess the hardcovers had to start going eventually, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Moved this over to General Discussion, since Mod Support wasn't really the place.In reply to Conner with respect to my book-every-4-days pre-ToM reread pace:1. I pretty much read them that fast anyway, if not always in a row like this. I pretty much blaze through fiction as a rule.1a. Also, I think there was maybe one book from ACoS on that I didn't read in 1 day on release day. Crossroads of Twilight, I think. That book annoyed me something awful. Or maybe Knife of Dreams. One of those.2. This time about, in exchange for not having the now defunct rasfwrj newsgroup to read, I am concurrently reading Leigh Butler's most excellent WoT Reread series over at Tor.com.3. I guess my ACoS hardcover is going, too. My Path of Daggers hardcover lives on, however. May well finish that tonight. Short book.

Also. Boy do all the White Tower scenes in all the books take on a different light when you know precise who's Black and who's not. In particular, The Dragon Reborn is infinitely creepier in hindsight.

As a progress marker, I finished Winter's Heart last night and started Crossroads of Twilight. Climax of WH is consistently better than I remember it being every time. However, I continue to hate Cadsuane with the fire of a thousand suns.DKS - Good scenery artist. Has good ideas for covers. Can't draw horses or humans to save his life. CoT is especially jarring in this regard.

Sounds like you're progressing very nicely.Yeah, Cadsuane is a bit of a bitch, but she really does seem to have good intent.. of course, we all know the saying about roads paved with good intentions, right? ;)Meh, cover art doesn't matter.

My problem with her is partially that she's a bitch, but mostly that she's an ineffective one. She's a jackass to everyone else in the series, and it doesn't have any real beneficial effect. She's sort of the Aes Sedai equivilent of a forum troll. Worse, she gets built up as the uber Aes Sedai, but to my mind she never really earns the type of fawning she gets from everyone. Very annoying.I think I've finally (15 years later) gotten over how jarring her initial appearance in ACoS was, though, so at least there's that much.Now then. I have some Mat chapters to read. Woo.

I see where you're coming from and I can't argue against it at all, she's not exactly a lovable character and the fact that she really is trying to help is almost her only redeeming quality. Even her reputation as being such a powerful Aes Sedai seems overblown from what we read about her and that's not really explained well.Mat's a fun one to read about. He's got such an ...interesting.. take on everything. :chuckle: