• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hana

• Conner

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

Top Posters In This Topic

On that note, I installed FO3 on my desktop to see how it ran, and had no problems with everything maxed out. Which is as good enough evidence as anything to let me point the finger at Oblivion lack of quad core support (and crappy unoptimized everything else, but anyway).

I noticed last night I did overlook one audio driver so did that before I went to bed. So it's either a combo of all the updates (hell' date=' I'm even up to date on all the windows updates) or the threat of a new motherboard. I fail at PC maintenance it seems.[/quote']It's probably the combination of out-dated drivers and such, but don't write off that need for a fresh motherboard entirely just yet. One never knows, especially considering all the hardware changes I seem to recall you having made awhile back. On the other hand, I don't see any new complaints either and we're going on the fourth day now...
On that note' date=' I installed FO3 on my desktop to see how it ran, and had no problems with everything maxed out. Which is as good enough evidence as anything to let me point the finger at Oblivion lack of quad core support (and crappy unoptimized everything else, but anyway).[/quote']Are you saying they got all that right in FO3?(Btw, gratz on hitting your 100th post, prettyfly! :))

Are you saying they got all that right in FO3?
Well, they definitely optimized it better, one way or another, and the multi-core support makes a big difference (which means major improvements for a lot of people). But it also does crash a lot more than Oblivion, so I figure we've ended up with a trade-off :shrug:And now that I've PyFF'd half my meshes the Oblivion is dumping some rather pleasant frame rate improvements on me. That and the new version of OSR has made quite a difference as well.

Funny, because FO3 rarely ever crashed on me unless I'd been playing for more than 4 hours. That's without a whole lot of mods, and WITH tons of hi-res texture replacers. So I think whatever they did to the engine for FO3 was a massive improvement all around.Dwip swears F:NV is even more amazingly stable, but the common buzz on the forums doesn't match up with that.

I certainly can't speak on behalf of F:NV yet, but my experience, overall, with FO3 was fairly solid. I had times when I was saving pretty frequently because I kept crashing at a certain point and knew if I could get past it I'd stop crashing. (Couldn't tell you how I knew it, but I was right more often about that than wrong.) Otherwise, yes, I only mainly seemed to crash when I'd been playing for hours straight, but I also only had a couple of mods and no texture replacers at all. Maybe something Samson had replaced/modded was actually one of the causes of more frequent crashes. :shrug:

So far my experiences on my laptop (which is as powerful as a angry kitten) are not much different to yours, Conner, though I don't think I got the stability that Samson is describing. But anyway, I'll have to see how I go on my desktop, now that I've got something that you could actually call a 'gaming computer' at my disposal.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, after recovering from yet another BSOD crash, I'm pretty convinced it's my HD that's causing all my pain.There's just something inherently not right with chkdsk having to fix corrupted files EVERY DAMN DAY, sometimes 2-3 times a day. Plus there's no reason said files should go corrupted anyway. Take for instance, just now, as chkdsk ran after above BSOD (that blamed NTFS.sys) it discovered about 6 or 7 ABR lip files were bad. I mean, how the fuck..? I haven't touched them! And yesterday, trying to get to the installers tab in Bash, and it tells me some mod-added armor textures are bad, and I discovered the whole folder was corrupted. Those files have been sitting there FINE for ages. These are just a small sample of my woes.WD, you suck donkey balls. It's off to Best Buy tomorrow./rant angry.png

I swear I thought you had replaced that drive already. What are you waiting for? Western Digital is GARBAGE, get a Hitachi drive.

Another funny woe.Was in Bash this morning, went to the installers tab, and discovered the updated UOPS I installed last week - was uninstalled. No checkmarks. Time to get on with this re-install. See ya on the other side!

Yep, it does.I can't believe Windows Update fed me a BETA graphics driver. What the hell?

NEVER let Windows do that. Video drivers should only ever come from the manufacturer. The only drivers I generally allow Windows to update are for my printer and the network adapter.

Yep, lessons learned, eh. All sorted with a visit to nvidia website for the previous driver.Now to figure out why a Norton driver keeps crashing when installing when its never done this before.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? I ALREADY HAVE DISK ERRORS ON MY BRAND NEW DISK?????!!!!!!!!

ohgod ohgod ohgod NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!So, I just realized as I'm looking at my old HD, that I erased everything I've ever done with regards to modding. EVER. :cry:

Uh. Wow. That totally TOTALLY sucks, and I speak from experience having been there before. Hopefully you have some sort of backups?

While not as bad as Hana's predicament, my Oblivion keeps crashing anytime I enter the Ayleid Ruin of Ondo. =/ Sometimes I can get through the first level, other times I can't.

Only stuff that's in my Oblivion Build folder. Lost hundreds of texture samples, meshes I made, textures I made, hundreds of screenshots, tutorials and everything I learned over at TESA, all the wip projects I was working on, all the beta testing I'd done.So, what do I have? Whatever you sent me in the last Sutch package and whatever I had already made and put in game for my Staff Emporium mod (and that doesn't mean the actual staffs IS made).Sorry Dwip, those mausoleum textures are gone. :(

That really sucks. I've thankfully never lost my Oblivion stuff, but I did lose some maps and such I spent like 6 years on, so I know how that works.I have at the very least the mausoleum textures you sent me, if that would help. Also sympathy.

• 2 months later...

Ouch, sorry I missed this, delayed sympathies in spades.Still, looks like it's my turn for pain again - those of you who frequent Bethsoft will kinow BASH is killing my game (Patch causes CTD), and this is all because I actually tried to play the game and then tried to fix my problems in the Waterfront! :facepalm:Who was it here told me I should play the game?