NOT a Happy Camper

Hana

Conner' date=' just a small amount of perspective, but if you're getting along fine without the server, one begins to wonder if it is indeed as vital as you think?[/quote']Sadly, Dragona's already pointed this out to me, and I truly am getting along fine without it for myself (though I certainly do miss it), but I was hosting a few small sites that I really do miss for my own edification, in a couple of cases, and that some other folk are not exactly thrilled about either. Sadly, one of my biggest deterrents to bringing it all back is that the sites other folks were having me host were among the stuff that I don't have a backup of. Pretty much entirely. :sigh:Anyway, back to the subject at hand:
If your OS is 64 bit' date=' you should be using 64 bit drivers for everything that needs them. So you're fine there unless that particular version of the driver is flaky. nVidia isn't known for their driver stability.[/quote']I'll definitely second this advice. If you're using a 64 bit OS and 64 bit drivers are available for your stuff, you should be using the 64 bit version of the drivers for everything. Unfortunately, as much as I personally like nVidia better than their competition, they are known for having driver issues so that is something you want to watch and keep in mind as one possible suspect for your problems. Don't forget that nVidia puts out new drivers for their video cards very frequently, in no small part because of that very fact, so watch for new versions and see if maybe one of them doesn't help alleviate the situation some.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hana

• Conner

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

Top Posters In This Topic

Unbelievable. My PC hates me. Period. TWICE today this has happened. Randomly, for no known reason at all. If this has ever happened to you, then you know your PC crawls down to a snail's pace if said snail was half dead and crawling up a mountain. It took me 45 mins to copy/paste that picture before I could reboot and fix it.The first time I was running Norton's registry cleaner. I thought, ok, it doesn't like that. Just now I was doing nothing at all but browsing MS support website and learning about Driver Verifier Manager (which I need to try). All I had running was FF and windows explorer was open.Any theories?

Your computer hates you? :huh: Oh wait, you already came up with that.I might be pissed off that a graphics card upgrade recently revealed that I had CPU bottleneck and as a result for my $200 I get exactly 0fps performance improvement, though by the sounds of what you're dealing with I should probably keep things in perspective. :shrug:

You should expand the second column so you can read what the information there is. Although that looks like the username column which won't do a whole lot of good. No idea why you'd have a generic process showing up like that eating all the CPU.@Prettyfly: I have the reverse. Spent $250 on a CPU upgrade and got zilch for performance out of that in Oblivion. Thing is, there's no way I have a GPU bottleneck, so apparently something else is the real bottleneck for me.

Well, I've got one of those i7's that has each of its cores subdivided again in half so that one rests and one works at the same time, so even though its a great processor, I'm using so little of it that it limits me quite badly. Still, I'm sure it'll work just fine with Skyrim so :shrug:Still, when I hear what you manage to get running at a good frame rate, I get rather jealous.

What I have running isn't exactly difficult. People just need to be willing to put the effort in. It's not any one solution that solved my framerate issues, and 95% of it was software solutions anyone with a 64bit OS can do. Heavily modded Oblivion doesn't play nice with XP, which is why you see so many crash threads on BGS these days.

Exactly what software solutions are you talking about?Y'know, other than Pffying meshes, the LAA patch and OSR (and probably some others I can't think of).

PyFFI'ing meshes, LAA patch, OSR, DirectX updated to as recent a version as possible, updated video drivers (even with the irritating line thing), every mod cleaned, every mod that has meshes PyFFI'd, and the drive defragged on a regular basis. I also try not to leave too much junk floating in the Data folder. And one must also pick and choose mods. If you're not going to be using one, there's little sense in having it installed just to sit there wasting space and resources.

Hmm, then I'll have a bit more work to do cleaning these things up in the next few weeks.BTW. does having anti-aliasing enabled put extra drain on the CPU or is a GPU thing only?

That should be a GPU thing. Funny thing is that in my case, turning it completely off still doesn't net any gained frames.

Intel CPU and motherboard chipset? No external drives or anything that might have put that there? A screenshot of the device manager entry for it may be helpful too.

TWICE today this has happened. Randomly' date=' for no known reason at all. If this has ever happened to you, then you know your PC crawls down to a snail's pace if said snail was half dead and crawling up a mountain. It took me 45 mins to copy/paste that picture before I could reboot and fix it.[/quote']Of course, it's perfectly normal for your PC to hit 100% CPU usage for split seconds here and there, but what you're describing sounds like you've got something (that's not actually showing up on the task manager list) seriously stealing CPU time. I've been there too and it does suck. Usually I don't have the patience to wait it out so I end up just forcing a reboot (using the power itself if I have to) well before it reaches the 45 minute mark. :(If it helps you to feel any better, you're only 3 posts shy of hitting 500... ;)
as a result for my $200 I get exactly 0fps performance improvement
I have the reverse. Spent $250 on a CPU upgrade and got zilch for performance out of that in Oblivion.
How's that the reverse? You're both saying you spent two hundred dollars or so and got no actual performance improvement for the money...
*wonders why my Intel centric PC has an AMD storage device driver*
:lol: One would speculate that either someone (Windows itself?) was trying to ensure compatibility in case you got an AMD based storage device or somehow Windows screwed up and installed/activated the wrong driver for your PC. As Samson suggests, it could also be that you've got a device on your system that installed the driver when you weren't paying attention. :shrug:

Intel CPU and motherboard chipset? No external drives or anything that might have put that there? A screenshot of the device manager entry for it may be helpful too.
It's not actually in use atm anywhere in the device manager, it just showed up on a list of drivers I pulled using DriverView. I suppose it could be for my old IDE harddrive.Continued rant while I'm here (yeah, I know you're all sick of it). I updated several system drivers today - an Intel chipset, a Sata2 controller and a Realtek LAN driver, and still crashing. The NVIDIA driver is up to date. I'm seriously on the verge of buying a new motherboard. I don't like this one at all.Also, when Windows Repair and System Restore say they won't touch personal files, they lie. Every single time they screw my Oblivion installs.

I've lost track again, but I thought you replaced that board already? If not, yeah, it's about time for it to go away.

Didn't do it yet, but did mention once I wanted to go back to Asus. I like their stuff.I thought I read somewhere, but can't remember - is it a new M/B that messes with Windows registration, or a new CPU? Or is this even true at all?

It's not actually in use atm anywhere in the device manager' date=' it just showed up on a list of drivers I pulled using DriverView. I suppose it could be for my old IDE harddrive.Continued rant while I'm here (yeah' date=' I know you're all sick of it). I updated several system drivers today - an Intel chipset, a Sata2 controller and a Realtek LAN driver, and still crashing. The NVIDIA driver is up to date. I'm seriously on the verge of buying a new motherboard. I don't like this one at all.Also, when Windows Repair and System Restore say they won't touch personal files, they lie. Every single time they screw my Oblivion installs.[/quote'']That does make it seem likely enough then.Meh, we don't really mind.You've complained about that motherboard before, go ahead and cross the line between "on the verge" and sold already. ;)I think they mean personal files like what's in your docs and pictures and music folders, not what's in your program files folders. :shrug:
I thought I read somewhere' date=' but can't remember - is it a new M/B that messes with Windows registration, or a new CPU? Or is this even true at all?[/quote']I've heard this too. I don't know if Microsoft has ever overcome that issue or not, but I thought they had sometime after XP. Of course whether it's the motherboard or the CPU is mostly moot when you're replacing the motherboard because most people will also replace the CPU at the same time. :shrug:Oh, and on a totally side note, gratz on hitting post 500 Hana! (Well, you will have with your next post...) :cool: :biggrin:

They have no reason to overcome that "issue" because that's part of how they make sure you're not an evil pirate installing one copy on your business with 10,000 PCs.... oh... wait.... yeah.Enough substantial changes to the system will trigger it. Usually CPU+MB will do it, because obviously the drive won't survive long enough to matter when you're reinstalling. There's a good chance it will see a new MB as reason to complain. I'd strongly recommend against trying to swap that in though without reformatting. Windows is nowhere close to being able to handle that the way linux does. I'm aware you probably don't want to have to do that, but...

Me, crying, on my 500th post.Yeah, I didn't want to hear clean windows install, but it would probably be for the best anyway.@Conner; No, these weren't anything in Program Files, these were folders I'd created on the C: drive for my Oblivion install. /whining.

@Samson: Well, yeah, I know, it's an intentional bug, er, feature.. but you'd think that with enough outcry over it they'd "fix" it. Of course, that's not as good for business in this case, so maybe not. :sigh:@Hana: Unfortunately, we're talking about Windows. A clean install is all too often par for the course when it comes to repairs of a serious nature. As Samson pointed out, Linux is a bit more forgiving, but if you damage something critical enough, even Linux will require you to essentially start over. Sorry. :(Well, okay, understood... I meant the first part more than the second part as far as specific folders go. Basically I believe that repair and such does ignore your "personal files" that are located in your profile sub-folders, but pretty much everything else is considered "public files" and thus is fair game. :shrug:

*knock on wood* PC has been happily co-operating today, no crashes at all.I noticed last night I did overlook one audio driver so did that before I went to bed. So it's either a combo of all the updates (hell, I'm even up to date on all the windows updates) or the threat of a new motherboard. I fail at PC maintenance it seems.

DirectX updated to as recent a version as possible
Sorry to go back to this, but what exactly does doing this involve? The 'update' that Windows Live directed me too told me that I already had a completely up to date version (being on Windows 7). Is that really all there is too it?

You want to be sure you're getting the DX9 update. Windows will probably tell you you have the latest DirectX but it's probably referring to version 11 in that case. There's a link to the right one in the OBGE thread at BGS.

The link points me to the one that I tried before but informed me I didn't need an update. Does that mean I'm all set for DirectX?