NOT a Happy Camper

Hana

...Windows updates KB245826 and KB2419640...
HanaWindows Update did not even offer KB245826 to me. Maybe it is because I chose not to install one particular module of Win7. But don't ask me which one that would be... :shrug:KB2419640 I do have installed and it does not cause me any problems.I have set my Update only to "Notify of new updates", and I will download and install those manually myself then. I just don't trust this all-automatic stuff... I usually do a quick readup on any of the updates and take a guess whether I really need it. Although the MS KB pages are pretty generic usually.... but still.For example Update sent me a bunch of IE security updates despite me never installing IE8... Sometimes an update is marked "important" but is important only in a corporate environment etc... there once was a case (not sure if for Win7) of an update that was actually huge (800MB) relating to .NET 4.0 framework deemed "important" but was for a pretty obscure issue or actually not for an issue but for future use by apps that were not yet available. Whatever, reading the details bores me to death, it was on some german blog where I picked that up. The bottom line is I firmly believe that some updates are just junk (in my home environment anyway), and some are clearly useful/ sensible. So I have that on manual and make judgement calls on them.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hana

• Conner

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't look like I ever got offered KB245826 either as I can't find it in my update history. I do have KB2419640 though, which was listed as a security update.Are you using "Exchange 2000 Conferencing"? If not, then uninstall KB245826 because you shouldn't have been offered it to begin with and Google is filled with results on this being the bad update.

So wouldn't you know it, KB245826 errors out when I try to uninstall it even in safe mode.Yes folks, this is my luck.

Wonder what it is with MS and patches lately. Had one last month for Outlook that turned it into molasses. Uninstall it? Fine.

:lol: Right, maybe they're just trying to encourage those who are still hold-outs using only Microsoft products to explore other options. They wouldn't want some judge claiming they didn't let someone install Thunderbird instead of Outlook or Firefox/Opera/Chrome/Safari/etc instead of Internet Explorer after all, now would they? ;)Seriously? Most of the time their patches and updates are good and more than worth installing, but they do put out enough of them that even just the law of averages says occasionally one here and there is going to need to be recalled. :shrug:

Well, standard memtest isolated 2 bad sticks out of the 6 I have, so hopefully I have 4 good ones to keep my 8G.Fingers crossed!

What brand of memory was this that you got 2 bad sticks out of 6? That's a terrible ratio.

Yeah, I know. I'm not terribly convinced they are bad though. OCZ, one stick out of 2 4G kits. I seriously can't have that much bad luck.Besides the fact strange things are still going on. I was virus scanning earlier and it blue screened with a new message this time - something about reference-by-pointer?I'm starting to think either HD, or even Windows is flaky.Oh, btw Samson - don't hold up Faregyl for me. My Ob install is screwed, it won't even launch.

If memtest says you have bad sticks, it's probably right. That program isn't known for reporting false errors. OCZ should have a good warranty system, just RMA it since you still have enough to run the PC with.Your HD could well be flaky, which in turn would make Windows flaky. Windows does not like it when you have bad memory and a bad disk.And yeah, had I read this first you wouldn't have just been sent an email prodding for last call on bugs. It's probably ready, and apparently Dwip has decided Las Vegas is where it's at now.

That's exactly it, Conner.Still blue-screening on boot up so now I'm really not convinced it is the memory, just a generic error it's throwing up. When I got it to boot (after it went through Windows Repair) it took about 10 times trying to launch FireFox before it actually did. And now, the Norton that I just installed yesterday, has decided it no longer wants to work. So lots of things starting to fail and I just did a full chkdsk yesterday that showed no errors. Event logs aren't very helpful either.This is driving me crazy.

Ok, I was pissed off enough I went and bought a new HD. Unfortunately it's another WD, but we'll see.

Ouch. Hana, as bad as your luck might be, if you're having that much suddenly starting to fail, it probably really is either the ram or the drive (or both) that's bad. As flaky as Windows can get, it doesn't usually start failing system-wide without help from viruses or hardware issues. :(Um, along those lines, you have checked for viruses, haven't you??

Kinda curious as to if it's a motherboard thing like what happened to Samson. All my motherboards just up and die the final death, but you never know.

So you've swapped memory, swapped the HD, and are still having issues? Yes. Motherboard is next. And if THAT doesn't solve it, power supply.

Trusting that you did in fact verify that it's not a virus issue, sadly Samson's right in that your next step is going to be to deal with the possibility of a motherboard issue and the next step after that is the power supply. Heaven knows he's got the personal experience in these matters... :([Edit] Btw, this is my 700th post. Woohoo! :P

Sadly I do, and all of it bad :(Also all of it quite expensive in addition to being extremely irritating.

I can pretty much put the virus issue to bed, this is a brand new hard drive after all. Unless something crawled into my system in the 10 mins it took to load Norton, then meh.I'm leaning toward a mobo issue too. My son, who has the exact same set up as me, is also experiencing issues when he shuts down his machine and boots again, with it going into this "windows repair" mode. So unless all 8 sticks of RAM I've bought is bad, this isn't just a co-incidence. We do have different power supplies... so..common denominator.Think I'll go back to an ASUS mobo. Never had any problems with them. And now, well, I have a 500G HD that I didn't need in the first place.

No such thing as a bad spare HD.Just so we all know to run away, what brand motherboard do you have now, again?

Yeah, ok. I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR. Which works, but has not thus far impressed me as being of the best quality. So perhaps we have discovered something.

Years ago, I had a Gigabyte motherboard. For about 3 weeks. Then a capacitor exploded and leaked that gooey stuff all over my CPU and video card, frying both along with the motherboard. I vowed then never to touch another of their products again.Asus is generally high quality stuff. Abit was too before they went belly up.

Out of curiosity I flashed a BIOS update. Apparently I was 3 versions behind. One of those versions claims "improved memory management". I thought great, this will solve everything!However, during boot up, chkdsk wants to kick in and look at my brand spanking new C: drive HD, yet it errors out that it can't access it. So still pretty sure there's a problem here.