Checking NPCs for Generic Items

Arthmoor

So I have a problem, which I will not describe exactly since it would result in a spoiler, but I'm stuck as to how to accomplish it.Let's say you have a set of NPCs and you want to give each one of them a type of item, but you want it to be possible to supply them with ANY object in the game that fits that type. For the sake of illustration, let's use shields. Specifically light armor shields because your group can't deal with heavy ones.I've looked and looked but can't seem to find a means to check an item's type other than an OBSE function that can check the player's equipped weapon type. The Fighter's Guild quest where you give weapons to the guys in Desolate Mine uses specific instances in its script - you can't just give them any old hammer or sword.Anyone have any clue how to go about this? Know of something in game that does something similar? Impossible and I'll need to come up with something else?

Would CompareModelPath help any? Or ModelPathIncludes? Perhaps the class of objects you are testing for have a common model path...

Yes, it looks like ModelPathIncludes will probably do so long as other mods which may add this same type of object use the same model names.I suppose the next obstacle is figuring out how to code the dialogue option that gives it to them to make sure it's the right type so I can keep a count on how many have been given. I suspect I'm probably going beyond what the game is reasonably capable of here.

Oiy. Yeah that does sound tricky. You'd probably have to divulge what you're trying to do - I'm having a hard time figuring out what you need :grinning: You can pm me on DC if you want.