[Idea/WiPz] Smithing Enhancement

Arthmoor

Did you never do the iron dagger exploit?
I did' date=' but that turns tedious just as quickly and I STILL don't get the points for melting iron ore into ingots even under the exploit system. I happen to be a fan of how Bethesda has fixed things, and I'd not change that at this point since spamming iron daggers is just stupid and lame even if it works.So yeah. I guess I'm just stupid then. :PI have spammed jewelry before and that wasn't something Bethesda fixed, but again, you need silver and gold ingots to do that, and you're getting hosed on not making advances for smelting those. Buying what little the shopkeepers have on them works and all but it's easy to burn through the 4 or 5 ingots they may have and then you have to wait for reset.
Actually' date=' you can change how fast smithing skill increases with Elys Uncapper. I have it set to .1 and that really has slowed it down.[/quote']I guess that would be one way to do it, but wouldn't that affect smithing as a whole? I really only want to cut down on the exploit factor of smelting 50 ebony ore nuggets to get nearly 30 points of skill out of it.Maybe it would just make more sense to tie the smelting of those ores to the smithing skills required to work with them to make armors. Then this wouldn't even be an issue.

You are right it would effect the whole of smithing. And I'm not sure how you will get around that. At least I'm not getting a smithing level for turning an arrow into 2 lockpicks 6 times at level 100 smithing anymore. That was as bad as the iron dagger exploit.

• 2 weeks later...

This mod needs a more snappy title than "Enhanced Smithing" but I can't think of anything.

This mod needs a more snappy title than "Enhanced Smithing" but I can't think of anything.
CBBE Smithing? :alien: :biggrin: :cyclops::imp:

Uploaded a preview beta for anyone who wants to poke around and see how badly I might have messed things up :)Seems to be working quite well from what I can tell though.

Uploaded a preview beta for anyone who wants to poke around and see how badly I might have messed things up :)

Seems to be working quite well from what I can tell though.

I'll get to it later today. I need to make sure I have a clean save from Baratan's 300 mod, which I'm sure would conflict.

I tested this as thoroughly as I can. The only smitthing activity that I'm not sure about whether I'm getting experience from is the tanning rack. The smithing experience bar does not show up for either the mining or the tanning rack. I tested the mining by looking at the smithing skill on the level up menu before and after doing a whole bunch of mining with my level 1 character who started out with 15 smithing. The bar had moved. -- When I used the same method to test the tanning rack by tanning 40+ hides and then turning them into leather strips -- the experience bar did not appear to have moved at all once I went into the level up menu and looked at the skills. That doesn't mean I got no experience. If I got any, it was a very small amount.

Hmm. I'll have to try the tanning racks again, the base object is set to provide the skill though. Could be leather just isn't valuable enough to register.Mining ore won't show you the smithing bar. The increment on that is handled via the mining script. It won't move the skill bar very far with each mining set either. It's not supposed to.

Tanning rack appears to be working. Might even be bordering on exploitative, but I gained myself a smithing level turning all the leather I was carrying into strips.

Tanning rack appears to be working. Might even be bordering on exploitative' date=' but I gained myself a smithing level turning all the leather I was carrying into strips.[/quote']I just took a look at the uncapper ini file in the plugins folder for skse. I have smithing set to progress at 0.2 which is probably why I didn't notice it. I'll bet I would have if I had it set at one. I'll go in and test.

When I set that ini to 1.0 all the smithing progresses too fast except tanning which doesn't move at all. I'm setting that ini back to 0.2I converted 20 cave bear pelts to leather and then 200 leather to leather strips.

I guess some definitions of "too fast" depend on how frustrated one is about playing it properly without iron dagger exploits :PNot sure why tanning isn't moving for you. I did go back and try that again to be sure. Converted 35 leathers into strips, got slightly more than one level's worth. I think if I hadn't been hoarding in anticipation of myself making this mod, it would have progressed more normally.Anyone think the arrow formulas should use leather strips?

I guess some definitions of "too fast" depend on how frustrated one is about playing it properly without iron dagger exploits :P

Not sure why tanning isn't moving for you. I did go back and try that again to be sure. Converted 35 leathers into strips' date=' got slightly more than one level's worth. I think if I hadn't been hoarding in anticipation of myself making this mod, it would have progressed more normally.

Anyone think the arrow formulas should use leather strips?[/quote']If I have it set at 0.1 or 0.2 it means that at level 1 smithing 1 dagger only goes up part of a level of smithing instead of 3 or 4 levels. At level 90 it will take a lot more than 7 daggers to get to level 91. Yeah that is a personal preference for me and makes it feel like less of an exploit. Elys Uncapper offers lots of choices for changing the speed that different skills level. You can develop character specializations much more easily with that plugin than without.I'm not sure why the leather/tanning isn't moving the smithing either.

Anyone think the arrow formulas should use leather strips?
Pretty sure arrows aren't made with leather. I could be wrong. :shrug:

I guess some definitions of "too fast" depend on how frustrated one is about playing it properly without iron dagger exploits :P

Not sure why tanning isn't moving for you. I did go back and try that again to be sure. Converted 35 leathers into strips' date=' got slightly more than one level's worth. I think if I hadn't been hoarding in anticipation of myself making this mod, it would have progressed more normally.

Anyone think the arrow formulas should use leather strips?[/quote']

If I have it set at 0.1 or 0.2 it means that at level 1 smithing 1 dagger only goes up part of a level of smithing instead of 3 or 4 levels. At level 90 it will take a lot more than 7 daggers to get to level 91. Yeah that is a personal preference for me and makes it feel like less of an exploit. Elys Uncapper offers lots of choices for changing the speed that different skills level. You can develop character specializations much more easily with that plugin than without.

I'm not sure why the leather/tanning isn't moving the smithing either.

Anyone think the arrow formulas should use leather strips?[/quote']If you can't find cat guy.Oooh, rabbbit gut would work.

Rabbit gut. Heh. If the little bastards weren't so hard to catch that would be cool :PAnyway, I've now given this creation a snappy new name: Ars Metallica.I mentioned leather strips because it looks like the arrow objects in the game have wrappings on them of some sort. One would have to assume leather.

Rabbit gut. Heh. If the little bastards weren't so hard to catch that would be cool :P

Anyway' date=' I've now given this creation a snappy new name: Ars Metallica.

I mentioned leather strips because it looks like the arrow objects in the game have wrappings on them of some sort. One would have to assume leather.[/quote']I like the name. I'm now checking on compatibility with crafting 300.