[Idea/WiPz] Smithing Enhancement

Arthmoor

So I went looking for a smithing mod today because I'm fed up with mining ore and smelting ingots without getting anything for it in the skill. Unfortunately all of the mods on Nexus are either filled with a bunch of extra crap I don't want in a smithing mod, or have been created pre-CK and are full of invalid records. So I've come to the conclusion that I need something simple, elegant, and that has a few little extras I want and none of the huge pile of junk I don't.What I WantThe ability to fletch arrows. Chicken feathers, hawk feathers, hagraven feathers, pheasant feathers, whatever other feather types exist. Combine with an ingot of whatever metal you want. Make a pack of 50 arrows.The ability to get a small nudge in smithing skill for mining ore from ore veins.The ability to get a slightly less small nudge in smithing for melting down ore into ingots.The ability to melt down existing armor and jewelry into ingots. Preferably without accidentally melting down what you're wearing. With the same nudge in skill as normal ore smelting.From what I can tell, the game already lets you gather and melt down Dwemer metal scraps, so that's taken care of.The catch? I can't seem to find how to attach a skill gain to the smelting part.Ore mining would be a simple matter of attaching to the script that's on the ore veins and figuring out what a fair boost is for each piece of ore that's gathered.So that's the start of it anyway. Only other thought I had was maybe allowing you to craft new copies of DB/TG armor if you're in those guilds. Companions don't really have a uniform. Legion armor perhaps only if you're in the legion, etc.

Would you consider adding making lockpicks to the list?Also keep in mind that you sometimes mine gems in ore veins when considering experience gain.

It's ideas like these that almost make me want to buy the PC version. Almost.Arrows sound cool. Crafting 50 arrows at a time is a lot though. You'd have to fairly base that on how much material you have at the time based on value (crafting ebony arrows is going to cost you more than steel arrows). You might also consider wood as a material (probably more wooden arrows around than metal, it's lighter). Might just be me but the only feathers I've ever seen are hargraven feathers and they're an ingredient. :shrug: Making lockpicks would be a good idea too. Can't you already make Imperial armour? (If that's what you mean by Legion armour) One thing that's missing is Stormcloak armour. It's too bad one can't make robes or clothing. If you could figure out a material other than leather you could use the tanning rack.

One day Hana, one day... we'll make a PC player out of you yet :imp: If 50 is too high, perhaps 25 then. I don't want it to be some worthless amount though or there won't be any incentive to bother. The recipes for these things dictate how much of something you need to make an item, so it would be consistent. Arrows would require feathers, some wood, and an ingot for the arrowheads. The reason I don't' want it being like 5 arrows or so is because the ingots are reasonably large and you should get a bunch of arrowheads out of one.It also doesn't matter to me if hagraven feathers are ingredients. Not all of us like to spend them making potions :)Lockpicks is a good idea too. Although there's so many of them in the game even my orc who has terrible lockpicking skills has found so many he'll never run out.Yes, you can already make Imperial armor. That's something I think ought to be craftable by legion members, not just anyone. Stormcloak armor too, which doesn't currently have a recipe. One of the many crafting mods I saw on Nexus included an option to do clothing too, so it can be done, but I personally don't have much use for that.I still can't find where the game doles out the skill boost for stuff. Going to be awfully hard to assign some at the smelter if that's buried somewhere we can't get at.

I suppose you could add in chicken feathers or something like that as well. Although they'd probably be best made available at a vendor, because the locals aren't fond of people knocking off their chickens after all.

I suppose you could add in chicken feathers or something like that as well. Although they'd probably be best made available at a vendor' date=' because the locals aren't fond of people knocking off their chickens after all.[/quote']Erm - fletching an arrow with chicken feathers would most likely result in some form of minor fail if not epic fail.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArrowThe short version? Use Goose feathers, or any stong flight migratory bird that glides, or large flying bird. I would expect that prdatory birds fly too fast (wrong shape feathers) and smaller birds have flight feathers that are just too small.

Skyrim has chickens, fake hawks, and hagravens. We don't get geese or any other "strong migratory bird". Gotta go with what's there because I'm not adding fake components from wildlife that's not even in the game. Heck, as it is, I'll need to make an ingredient out of chicken feathers anyway since those don't exist yet.

Actually there is something else that flies off as you approach Riverwood from Whiterun - just before you cross the bridge. Or just after crossing the bridge if you're going from Riverwood to Whiterun. I don't think they're fake hawks - they fly off in a flock.The hawks are real and you can shoot them down. A fireball spell works really well. I had a lovely afternoon hawk frying over Solitude - very entertaining trying to climb all over the buildings to get my bird once I had shot it down. The bodies still litter Solitude. You get one beak and three feathers from each. Very valuable for alchemy so I'd be hesitant to use them for smithing.There's also a nest right near Peryite's Shrine. You can use an arrow to shoot the nest and hawk down. There's another nest on one of the high towers in Solitude but I haven't figured out how to get up there without cheating.

Well, those are obviously Geese, and if they aren't you could have goose feathers imported, just like they import pheasant, or they import Beef from Skyrim in Cyrodil.

Maybe they're meant to be pheasants. There is pheasant meat in the game and you see the dead ones hanging up.

Those are not real hawks in the sense that they're creatures you can encounter. They're actually just activators with an animated loop.I forgot about pheasant, I can work with that too, no problem. Skyrim will just have to deal with it not matching up well with Earth-bound physics.

Those are not real hawks in the sense that they're creatures you can encounter. They're actually just activators with an animated loop.

I forgot about pheasant' date=' I can work with that too, no problem. Skyrim will just have to deal with it not matching up well with Earth-bound physics.[/quote']How do you shoot the haks down then, because I saw it on Youtube.

They have trigger scripts for when you hit them. It generates a container item that falls to the ground. That's why they never disappear when you kill them. They aren't actual creatures so there's no corpse to eventually rot away.

They have trigger scripts for when you hit them. It generates a container item that falls to the ground. That's why they never disappear when you kill them. They aren't actual creatures so there's no corpse to eventually rot away.
That's dumb, especially as you have flying Dragons so flying firds really shouldn't be a problem.

I agree, but there's nothing that can be done about it right now. Maybe someone down the road will make a "real hawks" mod or something :)

Does the distinction really matter though? It is really annoying that the "corpse" doesn't disappear. It also doesn't look like they respawn either.

They may respawn with the cell reset, but in a city, that's going to take ages considering how often one would be visiting.

So I found that the smelters simply need to be set to use smithing skill. Great. Now my orc who is currently lugging 47 ebony ore nuggets can gain skill by melting them down. Except doing so is awarding skill gains equivalent to forging an actual piece of armor which isn't what I was really after.There's a CraftSmithing.psc file in the script sources, but an experiment performed on that proves that it isn't being called during the crafting process, so it appears the formulas are embedded into the EXE somewhere. Which means one can go mine ebony veins and become an uber-smith with very little effort.Me, I think I can live with this considering how ridiculously slow the skill advances under normal use. I suspect the wider audience would view this as an exploit.

Me' date=' I think I can live with this considering how ridiculously slow the skill advances under normal use. I suspect the wider audience would view this as an exploit.[/quote']Uh...what? :lol: Smithing is about the fastest skill advancing you can do. One trip to a dwemer ruin and one could gain 5 levels just smelting it all, let alone another 5 using the forge to make something out of it. And the money (and speech skill advance) selling it. Definitely bordering on "cheat" mod.

Then I guess I'm just too stupid to know how to do that because at level 26, my orc has taken forever just to be able to raise it to a modest 38 points. Plus, smelting does nothing at all for your skill without turning on the flag on the smelter object. Which makes smelting a vast waste of time other than to get free ingots.

Haven't you tried crafting any armour? Make yourself some leather armour and you'll probably get a whole skill point. Do a few pieces and you might gain a level.

I have, but apparently I never seem to have the components available at the times I want to do that. There's an awful lot of tedium involved in smithing for whatever reason and it annoys me greatly that one major component of it gives you no skill increase at all even though it's critical to those who spend time mining ore or salvaging from Dwemer ruins.I'd be more than happy to cut the amount of skill boost you get from smelting if the game would allow me to, but it won't, and I'd rather have a slightly exploitative burst in things than go without it entirely.

Did you never do the iron dagger exploit? I can forge 3 or 4 of them to boost my smithing skill by 1. They're the cheapest thing to make, it only takes 1 iron ingot and 1 leather (or leather strips, I forget). Keep boosting your smithing skill and you can level up in no time. Buy the materials from the blacksmith, it's cheap too. Then sell them all the daggers.Of course, that's with 1.4. Patch 1.5 has drastically changed this (I haven't upgraded yet) to also factor in the value of the item (less worth, less skill boost). So don't forget that in your mod. But if that's something you can live with, go for it.Might consider doing the same for the tanning rack as the smelter too.

I have' date=' but apparently I never seem to have the components available at the times I want to do that. There's an awful lot of tedium involved in smithing for whatever reason and it annoys me greatly that one major component of it gives you no skill increase at all even though it's critical to those who spend time mining ore or salvaging from Dwemer ruins.

I'd be more than happy to cut the amount of skill boost you get from smelting if the game would allow me to, but it won't, and I'd rather have a slightly exploitative burst in things than go without it entirely.[/quote']Actually, you can change how fast smithing skill increases with Elys Uncapper. I have it set to .1 and that really has slowed it down.