[WIPz:Oblivion] AFK_Mausoleum

Dwip

@Conner - Most of the rest is just flat planes anybody could do in 20 minutes or so. So' date=' you know.[/quote']For some people perhaps. Like those who have learned to speak Blender. Others of us aren't quite that fortunate.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dwip

• Hana

• Arthmoor

• Conner

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep writing these tutorials on Blender for a reason, O Fearless Leader. Had you been following them, you too could easily make a plane. ;)On a larger note, very little of what I'm doing here is actually truly difficult, and I'm not really blazing any new trails of competence here. There's a lot of stuff going on, which makes it look really huge and complex, but once you break it down and take things one step at a time, it's sort of like putting one foot in front of the other - not difficult, but you'll do it a lot.

Very good, but too rough. I'm looking for smooth, polished stone, and that doesn't quite fit. Otherwise great though.

Well there's one part you're missing here and that's the fact that I have no talent for drawing whatsoever. Stick men is the best it's ever been.

@Samson - You can draw stick men? Better'n me.Very, very little of this is about drawing per se.@Hanaisse - Take #2 is pretty great. Don't suppose I could trouble you for a couple more versions of that? Ideally I'd like to make a 1024x1024 dds that I can use for four seperate tiles.Also, any chance of a white marble version? Black veins on white? Same sort of deal - I have a ton of floor to cover.

I'm in the same boat with Samson on this one, Dwip. No big deal, just that we know we're not going to pull off what you call so easy anyone could've done it so we're telling you that we really appreciate your talent. Just accept it and move on. ;)Gee, I thought that first pic looked pretty nice. :shrug:Guess my eyes just aren't as attuned to this stuff as Dwip's, I don't see a lot of difference between #1 and #2, though #3 looks like a major close-up to me. :shrug:

And before I go off to work for my paying job, here's the fruits of some of today's labor:AFKMausoleumInteriorWIP02.jpgNotice that I changed up on the walls a little bit - those little archways are all eventually going to be for urns.All simplicity aside, doing doorways kind of sucks.

Dwip, no problem. It's already made into a 1024x1024 dds. And black and white ones are the easiest to make. It's trying to colour them that's the bitch. I'll toss a few together tomorrow and email them.Thanks Conner :)Whoa, picture spam when I submitted. That's freakin awesome, Dwip. Really.

Wow Dwip, I don't know whether to be more jealous of your paying job or your artistic talents now.. ;)(That's an awful lot of urns...)No problem, Hana, just callin' it as I see 'em. :shrug:

You think it's got an Egyptian feel? I was thinking more Grecian-Romanesque myself, maybe early Venetian... or would that be Cretan? :shrug:

@Dallen - Any Egyptian influence is more or less residual from the texture choices Bethesda made. My own influences are more Greek/Roman than anything.@Hanaisse - Ooo, shiny. Like 'em.

And for today's pre-paying job WIP shots:AFKMausoleumInteriorWIP03.jpgThe upper chamber, with little pink dude for scale. Yes, I changed the upper stonework to, oddly enough, some of the detail from the elder scroll texture.Also, I'd like to do something or other with that big blank space as you come up the stairs. What I'm thinking would be super cool is a big bronze diamond with an imperial dragon in relief on it, but I haven't quite figured out how to create that. Alternately, I can go the cheaper dragon banner route.AFKMausoleumInteriorWIP04.jpgDoorway detail from the upper chamber. I'm not wildly enamored of that particular piece of detail, but I haven't got a better idea for the moment.AFKMausoleumInteriorWIP05.jpgLower chamber gateway. Retextured/rebuilt Leyawiin door.Next up I think is probably the upper wall/ceiling border detail, which will be...fun. For bad, bad values of fun.

Very sweet. Love the new upper wall detail. It kinda has a squiggly look, not all flat n stuff.As far as the big blank wall space as you come up the stairs, I'd say that entirely depends on what will be on that platform in front of it. Will one actually see a big blank space on the wall as they come up the stairs? Hard to tell from the angle. If you want to do the relief carved in the wall, well, you'd have to carve it into the wall in blender. Sounds horrifying but would look great. Myself, I would choose the banner, and even smaller ones littered around here and there. Banners are everything in this game.Doorway detail in second pic, love it. Hate the old IC doors. On another general note, why is every single texture used in Ob so dirty? Brilliant awesomeness on the retex'd Leyawiin door. You should do above door like that.I'll get the marble floor tiles to you soon. I want to make sure their reasonably tile-able first.

@Hana: The new marble tiles look great, very marble-ish. ;)@Dwip:That's one massive upper chamber door. Is it that big in case a dragon wants to pay his respects?I think a banner carved into the wall might not be a bad idea either, Hana may have the right of it there.I don't know why things in Oblivion appear to be so dirty, Hana, I don't think they really are dirty per se. :shrug:

- Big blank wall space is going to be the very first thing you see coming up the stairs, so I want it to be impressive in some way. I've thought about doing the carving in Blender, and may yet. the main issue at hand is that doing so will be very expensive in face count (35k+ and counting rapidly). So I was hoping to get most of that way through simple texturing.- As far as banners go, I'm going to see when I get there. I'm planning to use some outside (those big vertical arches are perfect for them), but not sure about inside. What I am planning to do is stick statues in the various tall arches mid-wall, which are sized for half-sized fort ruin statues. I may try to do something other than the usual RF statues, but we'll see what I can do. As I've said previously, I'm going to put together some urns for the little arches.- Well, the IC is kinda weathered, but yeah, it's a little annoying - the basement column texture I'm using is about as clean as they get. I'd be using wayshrine/temple step textures if it wasn't for the huge black stripe at the bottom.- Upper doors are IC city gateway doors, so they're huge. Can't really redo them with the lattice gates, because the lattice gates are see-through, and the gateway doors go to exterior cells. You see the issues.- Re: textures and tiling, keep in mind that what I'm planning to do with them is something akin to the relationship between icwallbuttress07.dds and it's normal map - some shading at the edges, and a heavily beveled area to give some depth to the tile. Should moderately disguise light tiling issues, but by all means take your time, since I won't be doing floors for a while yet. I also need to figure out what to do with the ceiling.

Present for Dwip. Whipped up a ceiling tile idea. Full tileTiled tileColours can always change. I'll probably whip up a few more ideas, with borders, etc, since Samson hasn't responded to my last testing for Faregyl and I'm kinda bored.

I think the way I'd want that tile done is white marble diamonds on the reddish background. That said, what I'm really thinking about doing is more along the lines of a straight version of textures/architecture/imperialcity/icinterior/ICTempleCoffers01.dds (which is of course a copy of the dome of the Pantheon). Alternately, something like this, only without the various flourishes in the center and with that red trim border I used on the walls. Also, should you ever find yourself in Ravenna, Sant'Apollonare Nuovo is a recommended destination.

Why Hana, you've made bathroom flooring tile! ;) *ducking*Wow, Dwip, that second link is an awful lot of saints(?) and chalices...