[WIPz:Oblivion] AFK_Mausoleum

Dwip

So, this doesn't have an interior at all, and there are probably a couple three optimizations it could use, and it takes up an entire damn cell so I don't know where to put it, and I don't even have any plans to USE this thing for anything whatsoever, but by god, I told myself I could whip up an Oblivion version of the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, and damned if I didn't.

Witness, respectively:

- Exterior

- View down from the upper gallary

- Upper gallery

- View of the IC from the roof

AFKMausoleumDemo01.jpg

AFKMausoleumDemo02.jpg

AFKMausoleumDemo03.jpg

AFKMausoleumDemo04.jpg

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dwip

• Hana

• Arthmoor

• Conner

Top Posters In This Topic

OMFG, that's AWESOME, Dwip. :stare: Could use some pretty re-texturing tho, like gold trim.But you typo'd the thread title. Shouldn't it be AFK_Mausoleum? :P

Whoa. Dwip, you've outdone yourself and can no longer be considered anything short of BlenderGod himself.That thing begs for an Emperor's tomb mod. It really does. The obvious question is where the hell do you put something like that?

@Hanaisse - Well, I'm not really thinking of it as a mod so much as me fucking around in Blender a lot.And the most I might do to the outside at this point is some banners. Dunno. The version up there is just a random demo.@Samson - Eh, it's a static. Statics are easy once you get the basics down.And I guess if I was going to do a tomb mod, the obvious spot to put it is somewhere on the Imperial Isle, but it would be hard to find a spot there without running smack into UL:II. That's not a big deal for me really, but if I ever wanted to release it, it would be sort of silly to need a patch for it. I guess it's also concievable to just make an island in the middle of Lake Rumare or something. At the moment it's down the road from Fort Urusek a bit, which obviously isn't ideal either.

If that Valley is the one I am thinking of it's already used by Snowdale and OOO, weller to head West - but I do like the idea of the tomb being in the Bruma mountains, as though the Blades stole the body away because of all the political infighting.

You've got my vote for a great job too, Dwip! cheer.gif@Dallen: Sometimes you don't need an interior for a building that folks aren't meant to enter, just an awesome exterior, which he's presented. Besides, if it's needed, and interior is always able to be added. ;)

Well, yes. It just annoys me when you walk up to a door, and the door is a picture of a door, instead of a door. Even if you get "This door is barred from the inside and cannot be opened", is better than no activator there.

I'm pretty sure I'll be putting it on a man-made island in Lake Rumare, simply because it's easier that way and I like the idea of having it near the IC. The problem with sticking it around Bruma/Cloud Ruler Temple is A, no IC snow textures, and B, I'd need to level a couple mountains because it's so big.And the lack of interior is part of why this is a WIP right now. First I have to build it. Because trust me, I hate not having an interior on things even more than you do. :P

Easier, he says, with a cell sized building.And yeah, let's not do Gothic meets Oblivion and have buildings with no access to them.

I think it depends on the building, a permenantly locked tower is one thing, but everybody loves tomb raiding so.....

And the numbers of the day are apparently 6144 and 55296. For the record, if you ever want to calculate the precise center of a given cell, it's (X or Y coord * 4096) + 2048.Also looked into 3,14 , 2,18 , and 6,18 as possible spots, but alas. 2,18 is the most usable of them, but would require a pretty epic staircase to make happen. So back to making a mid-Rumare island that looks halfway decent.

I wasn't suggesting that it should be used empty with fake doors that are really just walls, I'm just saying that it's really not that uncommon to have a building here and there to decorate landscaping that isn't actually able to be entered so it doesn't need an interior and thus answering why one might want an interior-less building:

NIce' date=' but isn't a building with no interior...kinda pointless? :shrug:[/quote']If you're going to use it as a mausoleum in a mod, you'd certainly want it to be furnished appropriately and you'd want the mod to have a quest of some sort (or at least NPCs who could give background for it) to explain it's presence. This is a pretty significantly major looking mausoleum after all. :shrug:

I think it depends on the building' date=' a permenantly locked tower is one thing, but everybody loves tomb raiding so.....[/quote']Be that as it may, sometimes a given building just isn't meant to be raided. One solution to that would be to give it real doors and guards and enough traps to just make it too much trouble to explore anyway. :shrug:(That work for your extra post to fight the blank page bug, Arthmoor?)

It did, but the result was the opposite of the blank page bug. You ended up on the previous page at the top. It seems like such a simple bit of code too. Anyway, lets not stray down this road in Dwip's nice topic :)

Well, I doubt anyone would be "raiding" the Emporer's tomb. Maybe tour it...but...Anyway, when you make a building that's just supposed to be a space filler, you usually make it one that doesn't attract that much attention. A cell-sized temple looking thing, pretty much everyone is going to want to check out.

So, request for comment here. I've plotted three different spots on the Imperial Isle where this enormous monstrosity could possibly go. Click for screenshots.2, 18. That's on that spit of land to the left as you come off the bridge from Weye facing the IC. The advantage is that there's nothing out there. UL: II, RR: LR, pretty much nothing, although I'd still need to make a UL: II version. I would also need to construct the mother of all staircases leading down to that road. It would be pretty epic.6, 18. Over to the side south of the Prison District. I like this spot and could work it in with a minimum of dicking with UL: II. OTOH, RR: LR sticks a pond and cottage here, and it wouldn't work with it at all.Lake Rumare. Most compatible spot, but it looks a little strange. Part of that is due to the lack of reflection, which I assume is a _far.nif/LODGen issue, but the mini-Vivec approach may always look a little strange, even once I fill it in with trees and such.Anybody have any preferences?Also, on a wholly other note, the ABR courier continues to be a ninja.

lol at the courier.Behind the prison - nah. Too hard to get to and would rarely see it's awesomness.Lake Rumare - nah. That looks really really strange. Hey look, it's the floating mausoleum!I do like beside the bridge. It seems the most natural of spots, prominent as it should be. You could do one of those winding roads thingies down to it in between some stairs.Edit: LOL, well I certainly seem to be the odd one out today.

This all pretty much depends on what I feel like patching for, I guess.2,18 is my personal favorite for the moment, but does conflict unresolvably with the IC suburbs mod (does anybody use this?) and Phitt's museum. So I'd have to chuck those out. UL: II is a couple trees and pathgrids, RR:LR is random pathgrid edits. Patchable.If I go with 6,18, UL: II is easily dealt with if necessary, but you'd have to chuck RR: LR out the window. Aside from that, this is the easiest spot to fit into.Apparently nobody else likes the Lake Rumare idea either, so ok.Had a look at doing a NRB-required version at 11,17 / 11,18. Fits perfectly with NRB, would need a minimum of pathgrid edits and such. Of course, UL: II craps all over that whole area, so eh.So what I think I'm telling myself here is that the easiest course of action is 6,18 and damn the torpedoes of RR: LR.

I guess you could put a rock in the Lake Rumare location, and place the Mausoleum on the rock. I'm not even sure what RR is, so....

Does it really have to be within 5 feet of the Imperial City?How about somewhere along the Red Ring road?