AFK_EmergencyServiceRailStation

Dwip

So, here's the deal. My current F:NV character (#3, for those of you playing along at home), is playing in Hardcore mode, which is, as they say, what it says on the tin. Which means that before getting so far as Nipton, I'm overloaded and pretty much constantly crippled. Walking all the way up to Goodsprings to get myself fixed up isn't the funnest thing in the world, and it's hard to get a house until Novac, which is really really far from where I am.

So, spurred by memories of a half-made Fallout 3 mod that never saw the light of day, I got busy on Saturday with an idea that I shall describe to you all in a moment.

But first, some music before and after pictures:

Before:

fnv_afkemservrailstation01.jpg

fnv_afkemservrailstation03.jpg

After:

fnv_afkemservrailstation02.jpg

fnv_afkemservrailstation04.jpg

"Well Dwip," you say, "I see you've turned some lights on. I guess that's cool. And you made a whole cell by yourself. What's the big deal?"

Glad you asked. Here's the deal. I hijacked the Emergency Service Railyard station building, which is roughly east of Primm for those of you playing at home. And I made it into a, well, home. But not just any home.

Those before shots you see are the building in its ruined, cleaned out state. Nothing works, there's not even a bed to sleep in. But for the intrepid wasteland wanderer, you can fix that. Given enough skills and/or enough parts gathered up from around the wasteland, it's possible to restore just about everything in the building to its working condition as seen in the second picture. That's some 10+ things, including:

- Power and electric lighting that can be switched off and on.

- A workbench, reloading bench, and oven that acts like a campfire.

- A grinding wheel that gives you a repair bonus when near it.

- A radio.

- A bed to sleep in.

- Storage.

- Clean water.

All in a relatively convenient location that I have showed off to you. We don't have a lot of F:NV players here, so I'm not really planning on releasing unless somebody really wants this, but I thought I ought to show off a bit.

If I had it on PC instead of Xbox, I would totally be all over this. But alas, I can't mod the Xbox version. :(On a slightly different note though, the game is more fun in Hardcore to me, because the whole weightless bullet thing never made any sense to me. Especially after being in the military, and carrying around bullets. I know damn good and well those things aren't weightless... Also, the starvation, dehydration, and sleep deprivation stuff really reminded me of playing MUDs. :P

I like Hardcore a fair bit, although it has its inconsistencies - Want to heal being crippled? You can sleep forever in a normal bed, but no joy. Sleep for an hour in your special magic bed? All is well. A little off. I'm enjoying the hunt for food/water/stuff, though.

The best Survival mode tip I can give you is to get your Survival skill to 70ish ASAP. It really helps with using food and water to heal, and it also opens up about 90% of the campsite cooking recipes for food and stims.

Yeah, this particular character has Explosives, Melee, and Survival as tag skills. 70 is a few levels off yet, but it's getting there. I'm also being really fanatic about collecting ingredients for later.For those of you playing along at home, character 1 was Guns and I think Science and Medicine, and character 2 was Energy Weapons, Barter, and Speech (and fun fact there - did you know you can get to New Vegas by level 3 or so? You have to be really creative sneaking past the deathclaws, but it can be done).

I don't know, Kayle, sometimes certain facets of realism don't really serve a purpose in a game other than to make it too hard. The weight of ammo is a factor that in real life makes a huge difference, but in a game.. would you really want enough realism for the sake of realism that even your money counts for weight too, particularly since the Fallout series uses pop tops as money so there is no functional banking or paper money? Oh, even better, maybe all those pop tops should count for bulk too? ;)

The issue I had with bullets wasn't so much realism, as logical. I really couldn't see carrying around tens of thousands of rounds and not feeling. Which is entirely possible in FO3, and non-Hardcore NV.

When I started using FWE for FO3 (which is quite similar to NV hardcore mode) I actually found it a lot more enjoyable when you're bullets actually have a weight, y'known, there's actually a bit of joy in picking out the bullets you are going to use and how many of them you need as well as a much more serious feel when you use them. I pulled out on the essential needs part though. It just didn't suit me.

I got tired of hunger/thirst/sleep back in my MUD days. Why would I ever want to suffer that in a game I've paid for?Bullets having weight I don't mind.

My mindset is that I've got to worry about eating, drinking and sleeping in real life, so I don't want to have to do that in a game (of course, other people enjoy it as they feel it brings realism, but thats my view).

I liked it because it made sense not only from a realism point of view, but also from a setting point of view.You're in post apocalyptic Las Vegas. A Desert. Having to eat and drink and sleep to stay alive, and being intelligent about it added a whole new level of enjoyment to the game. There's also the fact that hardcore made the enemies just a bit more intelligent and harder to kill, which meant you had to think about how to approach some situations, instead of just running in guns blazing. Deathclaws and Corazors (I think that's what the giant mosquito like things were called anyway) come to mind for difficult enemies requiring a bit of forethought.

Kayle, I can understand your perspective, but I'm with Samson and prettyfly on this one. From a setting perspective, struggling for basic needs like eating/drinking/sleeping are appropriate and realistic, but in a game, in general, they're boring activities. :shrug:

I dunno, F:NV did it in a way that wasn't boring, and it wasn't overly obnoxious like in MUDs. And there are actually benefits to eating, drinking and sleeping in the game, unlinke a MUD where it's just to get the messages to go away.

I don't know about your mud, but in mine there were more negatives than just annoying messages if you decided to ignore your character's need to eat/drink/sleep, and if you decided to eat/drink some food items had perks too (course, some food/drinks had negatives as well) and sleeping did help you heal faster. But as for making eating/drinking/sleeping not be boring.. :shrug: