[RELz/WIPz] Unofficial Skyrim Patch

Arthmoor

I can't confirm that. On the contrary, I was about to post that I could go through the Blood Ice quest until its end flawlessly, without a single issue.

After getting the amulet in Hjerim, I talked to Viola and Calixto, then I confronted Wuunferth (my character is smart so I didn't tell Jorleif that Wuunferth was the main suspect). Wuunferth revealed that this amulet was in fact the Necromancer amulet (leading to an automatic transformation in my inventory) and thanks to his advice I could catch Calixto at night.

So, in my game, everything was fine.

Thus is the twisted history of BOTI. It has always been one of those "but it works for me" quests, even on the rare occasion someone got past it in a totally vanilla game. The quest working flawlessly in vanilla is a real miracle though. There's just so many ways it can break.

Either the QA team didn't test it, or they were handed a very specific set of scripts for testing it and those worked.

In my case it is a fresh new game started with USKP 2.1.3.

On reflection I noticed three things which could somewhat bother roleplaying freaks like me :

1. I entered Windhelm in the afternoon, around 3 or 4pm, and the cemetery scene triggered. I was a little surprised since I thought it could only start between 7pm and 7am.
  2. Wuunferth predicted that the killer would strike again "tomorrow night", not "tonight". I went to the market this day and caught Calixto. It was not "tomorrow".
  3. Calixto tried to kill his victim just in front of a guard (the one who is always standing behind the blacksmith, next to the White Phial shop), which is rather immersion breaking.

I can provide savegames just before entering Windhelm, just before talking to Wuunferth and just before Calixto's murder attempt.

You are SO not going to like this...

BOTI - presumably due to the changes made for #19281, Wuunfurth is now not providing the relevent dialog option (for the Amulet) after accusing him of Necromancy. The dialog just goes back to the main list of options.

I have 21 Butcher leaflets, Volumes 1 and 2 of the Butcher's Journal and the "Strange Amulet". Oh, and a savegame, should it be required. ;)

Load Order:-

Update.esm

Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp (2.1.3)

USKPRevert.esp (reverts unwanted USKP 2.1.2 ownership changes on certain outdoor containers)

SBBasement.esm

Run For Your Lives.esp (2.0.5)

no killmoves, no killcams, no killbites.esp

Were you in the middle of doing the quest when you updated?

Also, did you remember to talk to Calixto about the amulet?

1) @Arthmoor. The link. I'm on both sites all day long. Old keyboard where Ctrl+C doesn't always register... :oops: (fixed)

2) @Nico_coiN. Appropriate SaveGame.

3) @Elgar. Slightly different procedure. Obtained the Amulet from Hjerim. Spoke to Jorleif. Spoke to Viola. Went directly to Wuunfurth (did NOT speak to Calixto). Try the savegame above.

4) @Elgar (again :P). 1) Not sure of the time. 2) He always has said Tomorrow AFAICR. 3) Likewise he has always done it in the Marketplace in front of the guard (AFAICR).

5) @Shroob. 1) No. This is a brand new game with 2.1.3. My previous game was acting weird so I aborted it. 2) No. I never do. See reply to Elgar just above.

However, just loaded a (very lucky) autosave from slightly earlier in the quest. Spoke to Calixto (and sold the Amulet) then spoke to Viola then Wuunfurth. This time the quest dialog proceeded as expected. So, there's a slightly terminal glitch if you ignore Calixto, noting that until now it was entirely possible to do so and it did not impact on the game.

If you ignored Calixto that's why you didn't get the option. Speaking to him is required in order to get the proper progression since there is no other way to ever know who the amulet belongs to or why it would be significant to them. It's also not necessary to sell it to Calixto once he's told you about it either.

Fair enough - now that I know about it, but for nearly 4 years I've been ignoring him in blissful ignorance and not had any problems. Well, no more than anyone else has had with BOTI ;)

As for selling it - it doesn't matter if you do, and you get 500 septims for your trouble, plus the Amulet is yours for the taking after you kill Calixto :)

Why is it so that my Bolar's oathblade still has some charge left, but when I attack somebody it says "insuficient charge"? Anyone elste noticed that?

If you ignored Calixto that's why you didn't get the option. Speaking to him is required in order to get the proper progression since there is no other way to ever know who the amulet belongs to or why it would be significant to them. It's also not necessary to sell it to Calixto once he's told you about it either.

Why should I talk to Calixto? I find the Amulett after obtaining the housekey and by talking to Wunnfurth I learn that it is the Necromancers Amulett. No need to know to whom it belongs, after killing Calixto as the wanted murderer it becomes pretty clear that he was the previous owner.

Uh-huh. So you just happen to go to Wuunferth and say "I have unsubstantiated rumors that you're a necromancer and here are some journals I found that were written by a necromancer."

Without Calixto's account, the amulet's just some morbid jewelry. It's hearing about the amulet that's brought up because it's allegedly his (which, therefore, places him in the Butcher's lair) that allows Wuunferth to piece together that the killings are part of a necromantic ritual, and when the next killing will occur.

In my case it is a fresh new game started with USKP 2.1.3.

On reflection I noticed three things which could somewhat bother roleplaying freaks like me :

1. I entered Windhelm in the afternoon, around 3 or 4pm, and the cemetery scene triggered. I was a little surprised since I thought it could only start between 7pm and 7am.
  2. Wuunferth predicted that the killer would strike again "tomorrow night", not "tonight". I went to the market this day and caught Calixto. It was not "tomorrow".
  3. Calixto tried to kill his victim just in front of a guard (the one who is always standing behind the blacksmith, next to the White Phial shop), which is rather immersion breaking.

I can provide savegames just before entering Windhelm, just before talking to Wuunferth and just before Calixto's murder attempt.

Yeah, all of those issues are vanilla. No part of this quest has ever worked correctly. The only way to complete it successfully on Xbox (or pc, for that matter) was by rigorously following the walk-through provided on UESP.net and ignoring all on-screen quest objectives (and, in most cases, in-game dialogue). There was also the problem that if you didn't wrongly accuse Wuunferth and thus let another victim be killed, the chest at Hjerem would not be usable when you became owner of the house (because Beth stands for Breaks EveryTHing).  I forget if the patch ever fixed that.  Anyway, it is likely that following that walk-through will remain the only reliable way to complete this quest with full success, no matter what efforts are made to fix it. Not that I don't appreciate the efforts. 

As for Calixto, if you don't sell him the Strange Amulet, it will not later turn into the Necromancer's Amulet when you take it off his body (unless you guys fixed that too -- I've actually only done this quest once with the patch active, and followed the UESP walk-through like I always do).  Worst quest ever.  Anyway, when I have a chance in a couple days, I will try to do this quest the "real" way and see what happens.

With the USKP, when Wuunferth identifies the strange amulet as the Necromancer's Amulet, it will be swapped out, in case you decided not to sell it.

Tanker, all of what you're describing has been fixed in the USKP. You should be able to blindly follow the objectives now without breaking something, and the amulet will be properly identified at the right time regardless of what you do with it.

Ah. Oops. Man, I hate when I do that. Sorry for adding nothing to the discussion. I am going to test it. I generally have faith in you guys, but there was that whole Psycho Anoriath episode. Better to be sure. Anyway, thanks for your patience.

Edited to add: couldn't sleep without trying it out.  Wow. Y'all really did it. I admit to not completely believing. Forgive my lack of faith. 

A hotfix for 2.1.3 has been released for the following 3 issues:

The quest following Jagged Crown was not triggering properly in cases where the crown was returned to Tullius when you were sent by him to get it.
The file path for the male iron armor fixes in version 2.1.3 was wrong. They were stored under an "m" folder when they belong in a "male" folder for those.
ClothesFarmClothes02 had a separated wrist due to the amulet changes made in Farm02Torso01AA. For whatever daft reason, the actual mesh is partitioned in such a way that the arms are in the amulet slot which is what caused them to break. This required an additional mesh fix to correct (meshes\clothes\farmclothes02\m\torso_0.nif, meshes\clothes\farmclothes02\m\torso_1.nif).

Is it normal that there is a copy of the docs folder inside the BSA now? Not that it matters, I'm just wondering if it was done on purpose.

Uh-huh. So you just happen to go to Wuunferth and say "I have unsubstantiated rumors that you're a necromancer and here are some journals I found that were written by a necromancer."

Without Calixto's account, the amulet's just some morbid jewelry. It's hearing about the amulet that's brought up because it's allegedly his (which, therefore, places him in the Butcher's lair) that allows Wuunferth to piece together that the killings are part of a necromantic ritual, and when the next killing will occur.

Nice explanation, thank you, it is always good to hear the opinion of someone of superior intelect.

Is it normal that there is a copy of the docs folder inside the BSA now? Not that it matters, I'm just wondering if it was done on purpose.

lol, no, not normal but it won't hurt anything either.

The quest following Jagged Crown was not triggering properly in cases where the crown was returned to Tullius when you were sent by him to get it.

Will this impact on a new 2.1.3 game where the CW has not yet been started or will it need (yet) another clean start?

Will this impact on a new 2.1.3 game where the CW has not yet been started or will it need (yet) another clean start?

Should be retroactive on an existing save since there is no [NR] tag in the change log. I suppose it's always possible that if you've already encountered the bug it may require loading a previous save (or at the worst require a clean save), but unless I'm missing some detail about the fix there shouldn't be any issue.

Well, I can't have already encountered the bug as I haven't started the CW yet.

I'll be back (Hey! that sounds like it could be a great catch phrase :D) if it all goes pear-shaped :P

• 3 weeks later...

From all the patches readmes :

2. Known Issues, Incompatibilities and Notes

• [snip] Note that the unofficial patches are no longer available on Steam Workshop due to the necessary changes in the file structures.

I'm myself not a SW user, but I guess the file size upload limitation is not a problem anymore. Maybe only ini files can't be uploaded ?