[RELz/WIPz] Unofficial Skyrim Patch

Arthmoor

Since updating to the new USKP my pap log have been spamming this

stack:
[None].magicsoultrapfxscript.OnEffectFinish() - "magicSoulTrapFXScript.psc" Line 81
[02/10/2014 - 01:42:09PM] Error: Cannot call SecurePermission() on a None object, aborting function call

I cant soul trap anymore. I am using the  ACQUISITIVE SOUL GEMS.  I talk to the mod author and he said this

You are definitely running the USKP version of magicSoulTrapFXScript, but for some reason it is not able to find USKPSoulTrapController, which it needs to run. Line 81:

while !SoulTrapController.SecurePermission(CasterActor)

It actually makes sense that SoulTrapController is set to None, because ASG overrides the USKP property definition - in fact it gets rid of the usage of magicSoulTrapFXScript altogether and removes the VMAD for it, using ASGmagicSoulTrapFXScript instead. But, that should mean magicSoulTrapFXScript never gets called, and Papyrus never tries to dereference that pointer. Perhaps a later mod adds the vanilla VMAD back in?

Wow, this fix for black gems is really something, considering it uses the exact same method for fixing black gems that Acquisitive Soul Gems has been using for two years! I'm not saying it was directly lifted or anything since from looking at the code that doesn't appear to be the case - but inspiration cuts both ways and I hope nobody minds if I use USKP-inspired code of my own from this in a future version of ASG. Presumably I'll be gracious enough to include credit there, but whatever.

is this supposed to be in jest or genuinelly pissed? because i can't tell. what exactly would be your problem in the latter case?

it is hard to tell what your intentions were with this post. it sounds kind of sarcastic and mildly annoyed to me. you are a well known member of these forums and know the USKP well. the bug entry for the soul gems has been filed in november 2013. not everyone here knows of every problem, and not even knows of every mod of those that post here regularly. if you wanted ths to be fixed by the uskp, you knew where to leave a report.

don't be pissed, just because the fix now hit you own mod madly. the week after a USKP release is allways filled with incompatibility reports and modders required to incorporate the USKP fixes. all those house mods that had their own version of the mannequine scripts, and all those mods (among them one of yours again) that had some critter fixes. it happens. i had to adjust one of my mods twice because of thr USKP (luckily my mods contain no scripts, so of course it's much easier).

Ah, you think I'm upset about incompatibility. I'm not. That's to be expected and I had to update ASG for 2.0.0 as well. fragsnippy's issue is not incompatibility - not directly anyway because I can't reproduce the issue he's getting, and with ASG that script normally doesn't fire, ever. That's true even before I released the compatibility update for it tonight.

As for my intentions I guess I don't have any, but I am amused that basic attribution was missed on this, considering that Arthmoor is normally Mr. Intellectual Property. To be clear, I'm not upset about it since there was no way for him to know, and I'm sure egocarib tried to act in good faith. So no harm done. But that the work that went into this was (very partially) based off ASG is not conjecture on my part - it is a basic fact.

Hmmm, ASG looks interesting. Why isn't USKP doing everything ASG is doing, instead of just part of it?

Is it because there's text that says black soul gems only hold black souls? But not text about other kinds?

Ah, you think I'm upset about incompatibility. I'm not. That's to be expected and I had to update ASG for 2.0.0 as well. fragsnippy's issue is not incompatibility - not directly anyway because I can't reproduce the issue he's getting, and with ASG that script normally doesn't fire, ever. That's true even before I released the compatibility update for it tonight.

As for my intentions I guess I don't have any, but I am amused that basic attribution was missed on this, considering that Arthmoor is normally Mr. Intellectual Property. To be clear, I'm not upset about it since there was no way for him to know, and I'm sure egocarib tried to act in good faith. So no harm done. But that the work that went into this was (very partially) based off ASG is not conjecture on my part - it is a basic fact.

so someone added a bug report, maybe inspired by what you did with your mod. and it was decided independently that this was worthy of a fix. and now the fix is similar what you had done before. and you kind of feel this in a very slight sense touches your intellectual property.

ok,

i'm ok to add you as a source of inspiration to the change log and the obsolete mods thread.

there is one thing i wonder, why'd you never add this to the tracker yourself? upload a fix maybe. no disrespect to yur work. n´but i'm pretty sure Arthmoors fix was done completelly unaware of your own workings.

and btw for anyone wondering: Bluedanieru is indeed quoting my post. i though i'd tone it down a bit; appear less confrontational. apparently he was already replying to my first version by that time and he didn't take offence by my first version. so, thank you.

All I can tell you is that Hexaae filed a bug report about the improper functioning of the Black Star and black soul gems. SilentSpike knew egocarib had already fixed this problem in an enchanting mod he made, and suggested I contact him. I did so via the BGS forum and asked if it was possible to distill the code from his mod out so that we could include the portions of what he'd done as a bug fix. Some time later, he supplied me the code to use to accomplish this and I added it to the USKP for 2.0.1.

As far as I'm aware, his method was developed independently and does not use any code from ASG. I knew about ASG, but had never investigated it. I don't tend to play in such a way that soul gems are of great importance so while it sounded like a neat thing I didn't download it.

As far as me being "Mr. IP" that may or may not fit, but that also cuts both ways. I would need to see sufficient evidence that there's been any knowing infringement going on here before I'd seek to chastise anyone for their contributions to the project. Simply saying it looks similar isn't enough, because as we know with coding there's not always a different way to do something.

@DayDreamer: The fact that you can fill a gem with a lesser soul than its capacity isn't a bug. This was possible in Oblivion and Morrowind as well so there's no indication that it shouldn't be left alone. So while that's probably inconvenient for people who use lots of soul gems, it's not a defect in the game for us to fix.

Like I said, it isn't conjecture or a guess on my part. Anyone looking at the code can see that, and as for myself I got a PM from egocarib last August on Nexus asking "hey can I integrate ASG into my enchanting mod" to which I said "sure, go ahead, and send me a link to the mod when you're finished". That was the last I ever heard of it and the first time I saw Enchanting Awakened was yesterday. EA has no mention of ASG anywhere on the project page, but from the look of it egocarib implemented things differently enough there, that I suppose he felt attribution wasn't necessary after all. Okay, fair enough, but all the same the method now used by USKP is the same as ASG, just applied only to black gems and The Black Star.

i'm ok to add you as a source of inspiration to the change log and the obsolete mods thread.

I *would* be pretty livid if ASG were added to the list of obsolete mods, considering ASG is not obsoleted by this.

So it won't be missed, I've posted the 3 tiny Critter fixes from the reports over on the Critter thread.

In addition to BlueDanieru, I think that our stellar bug reporters BlackPete and Gruftlord and Screwball could use a mention in the credits somehow.

Hotfix 2.0.1a rolled out tonight:

USKP Fixes

• Continuing improvements in the great saga of the weapon rack system. These updates were intended to release with 2.0.1 but got missed.
  • Some continuing refinement of the critter control scripts.
  • Fixed a broken script in Saarthal that was preventing progress through the College of Winterhold quests.
  • Recalculated tangent spaces for the Jorrvaskr mesh (meshes\architecture\whiterun\wrbuildings\wrjorvaskr01.nif)

Oh great... BOSS is putting 2.0.1 patches in the wrong spots again...

I didn't even realize that until I looked at my load order today.

it is supposed to remember the 2.0.0 load order and follow that by example.

It has been doing that for a while now. I move them manually and thankfully unlike Oblivion they wont move out of place when I update them

Then I think you're doing something terribly wrong because BOSS v3 has been reported to handle the unofficial patches properly in all cases that have reported back on it. You'll need to take that up on the BOSS v3 thread at the Bethesda forum.

Big issue on infinite loop in soul trap. I've posted proposed replacement code for inspection. Need more eyeballs.

http://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/3915-papyrus-log-spam-orphaned-events-vmad-conflicts-dogs-and-cats-living-together-mass-hysteria/

I said this in the other thread, but I'll put it here too. I think you'll be better off, if you're going to release a 2.0.1b over this, to take out the fix completely, and try again with 2.0.2. Don't rush, and rather give the team more time for code review and testing.

Hi, friends. I went back to Skyrim after 2 months working on another project. I downloaded and launched the latest UxxP, then loaded my current savegame (untouched since mid-december). Papyrus spams endlessly the following lines :

[MGRitual04 (000CD987)].mgritual04questscript.OnUpdate() - "<savegame>" Line ?

[02/15/2014 - 03:53:16] Error: Cannot call Is3DLoaded() on a None object, aborting function call
stack:
[MGRitual04 (000CD987)].mgritual04questscript.OnUpdate() - "<savegame>" Line ?
[02/15/2014 - 03:53:16] warning: Assigning None to a non-object variable named "::temp6"

I have very few mods, and none modifying the MGRitual04 quest except USKP. The Saarthal events are far behind. The related issue was probably the one mentioned here (strange that it fires only now, though) :

v2.0.0 - (2013-10-28)

Quest Fixes
  • The restoration ritual quest (MGRitual04) can become stuck in an endless update loop. (Bug #13631)

I have very few mods, and none modifying the MGRitual04 quest except USKP. The Saarthal events are far behind. The related issue was probably the one mentioned here (strange that it fires only now, though) :

Although it is likely beyond my skill to understand why you are getting the endless loop, it could be related to this fix (here) which was done for USKP 2.0.1. Somehow this "fix" (for bug #14446) was left out of the change log for 2.0.1 (unless I overlooked it). Just out of curiosity, did you happen to do the "Restoration Ritual Quest" at some point prior to the release of 2.0.1? I had thought that PrinceShroob and Arthmoor had worked something out so that it would stop looping indefinitely with the fix, but perhaps the fix was was completely non-retroactive for those who had already completed MGRitual04 prior to the 2.0.1 release. I would expect that Arthmoor and Shroob could probably tell you for sure though what is going on in your game.

Are you saying the update spam is still happening even though we unregistered the event?

I'm afraid yes... I posted a download link containing a save intended for testing purpose in Bug 14446 thread.

Probably not a so big deal. Setting back quest MGRitual04 to stage 10 makes spam stopping (as stated on UESP).

Re: Soul Trap issue that's been ridiculously overblown with large amounts of hyperbolic claims:

There won't be a fix released for that until tomorrow at the earliest, because we've already got significant work invested toward 2.0.2. There's some stuff that needs to be verified in that before we can go forward with it.

Apologies for the mess, as usual Papyrus handed us a stinker despite the beta's best effort to make sure it wasn't going to do that. We'd ask that you simply be a little patient while we're getting things together.