Using USKP with 1.6

AndalayBay

No good using offline mode though, as when I'm offline I cannot play Skyrim. Steam tells me that there was an error connecting (due to being in offline mode) and that I should try logging in again. So offline mode will only work if I go online to use it, I guess... same as you have with the CK.

No that isn't correct you can play Skyrim in offline mode but you need to have Steam Client up and running. Do you have the checkbox "Don't save account information on this computer" checked in the options for Steam Client?

Let me ask you about that "error connecting" message. Have you tried to delete the ClientRegistry.blob file yet? If not then I suggest that you should try that, because it could cause Steam to be blocked on your computer.

I can confirm that it is with both ESMs and ESPs. Falskaar use and ESM file.

Edited by Ysne58

No good using offline mode though, as when I'm offline I cannot play Skyrim. Steam tells me that there was an error connecting (due to being in offline mode) and that I should try logging in again. So offline mode will only work if I go online to use it, I guess... same as you have with the CK.

No that isn't correct you can play Skyrim in offline mode but you need to have Steam Client up and running. Do you have the checkbox "Don't save account information on this computer" checked in the options for Steam Client?

Let me ask you about that "error connecting" message. Have you tried to delete the ClientRegistry.blob file yet? If not then I suggest that you should try that, because it could cause Steam to be blocked on your computer.

Well I only try to use offline mode when I cannot access the internet (such as when ISP does a stupid). In that situation, I cannot control any settings in Steam until I'm logged in, and launching Steam automatically attempts a login. Upon failure to login it asks if I wish to use offline mode, and if I say yes it then says something along the lines of not being able to use this feature in offline mode, and to try logging in. It seems that I am not allowed to use offline mode without first logging in to switch to offline mode.

That's just Steam being Steam, and while I really like the idea of being able to access purchased games over the internet, I see it as a backup for when the install discs don't work or you cannot find them, and there's no good reason for Steam itself to even be running once the game files are installed. Yet it forces itself on you and refuses to allow playing games you bought unless it's running, and at least in my case, without being logged in.

EDIT

Is the CK Data > Details page actually showing correct Form IDs? It appears that no mod contains any Skyrim.esm records at all, they're all beginning FF, none begin 00 (not counting container records).

Edited by Vorians

It's correct, I don't know why it shows FF. One would think it would show 00, 01, and 02 but hey.

Well by correct, I mean specifying whether the record is part of the file being looked at or a record from a master (00 for Skyrim.esm, 01 or FF for the file being looked at). By displaying all at FF, I cannot tell whether a record is from Skyrim.esm or from the ESP itself.

I have three ESPs installed containing INFO records, two definitely contain vanilla records (AddChoices01.esp from Paarthanux Choices Plus, and BDO.esp - I can't remember what this mod is called, the archive is unhelpfully also called BDO instead of the actual mod name, and as is common with Skyrim mods, there's no readme. Skyrim Nexus is (also as is common) not accessible due to 504 Gateway errors so can't look it up either - I think it was a mod to improve followers), the third ESP probably only contains new INFO records but I can't tell since CK doesn't identify the first two ID digits correctly (DeadlyDragons.esp from Deadly Dragons v3.2.1).

Update.esm contains INFO records, presumably some are from Skyrim.esm, how come it doesn't cause the 1.6 dialogue bug?

Well, first....

Updated findings on the patch 1.6 dialogue bug from personal testing:

Dialogue in a UI menu (actually talking to someone)

Only the audio is failing to play. If your subtitles are on, they will display and run for the length of time they're supposed to. Any scripts attached will execute once the dialogue is finished displaying. I've verified this with my Paarthurnax mod.

Dialogue outside the UI menu (including scenes)

Audio, dialogue, AND any scripts completely fail. This will cause things like the courier to show up attempting to deliver a letter and being unable to (if the mod edits courier dialogue that is) and with things like the Jagged Crown scene and Armen's sword scene to fail to run properly. So basically any "hellos" from NPCs and anything used in a scene.

With that in mind, your Paarthurnax mod should work because as I understand it, the guy who wrote it used standard speaking dialogue and not scenes or hellos. You just won't hear the audio, which of course sucks since it's Paarthurnax :)

No idea what BDO.esp is either so no idea what it needs with a dialogue edit. And yeah, what's with this crap with no readmes? I thought we left that behind in Morrowind? It's one thing if you got it from SW, quite another from Nexus.

As for Update.esm not being affected I'd guess because of it's special nature to the game. Then again I haven't checked which INFO's it touches to know if they're botched or not.

Anyway, that new info about what edits break will allow me to restore some of the USKP dialogue edits as long as people don't freak about the audio being missing. It's better than nothing since a lot of those fixes were quest fixes at the same time.

Well I only try to use offline mode when I cannot access the internet (such as when ISP does a stupid). In that situation, I cannot control any settings in Steam until I'm logged in, and launching Steam automatically attempts a login. Upon failure to login it asks if I wish to use offline mode, and if I say yes it then says something along the lines of not being able to use this feature in offline mode, and to try logging in. It seems that I am not allowed to use offline mode without first logging in to switch to offline mode.

That's just Steam being Steam, and while I really like the idea of being able to access purchased games over the internet, I see it as a backup for when the install discs don't work or you cannot find them, and there's no good reason for Steam itself to even be running once the game files are installed. Yet it forces itself on you and refuses to allow playing games you bought unless it's running, and at least in my case, without being logged in.

I take it then you have the checkbox checked and if that's the case then you'll need to login in online mode first and then uncheck the checkbox. After that it should be possibly to play Skyrim nor use CK in offline mode in Steam Client.

I completely agree with you about the concept of Steam. :D

Should be possible and actually being possible appear to have different meanings to Valve :P

I take it then you have the checkbox checked and if that's the case then you'll need to login in online mode first and then uncheck the checkbox. After that it should be possibly to play Skyrim nor use CK in offline mode in Steam Client.

I completely agree with you about the concept of Steam. :D

I don't have that box checked, so Steam remembers my credentials.

EDIT

Skyrim Nexus is working now, BDO is "Big Dialogue Overhaul"

Edited by Vorians

Alex has this to say about how the dialogue bug impacts his mod.

"That's great an all, but that's talking about edited vanilla dialogue. My mod doesn't edit any vanilla dialogue, it's all brand new. Not to mention that for me I get no subtitles IN dialogue like he says I should, AND my scenes completely fail. My dialogue (At least on my machine) is at a full stop. Not a single person speaks a single line ever. At all. And no subtitles.

Boy I hope Beth can fix this soon..."

Strangely, in my game, I get through the first three quests in his mod and no dialogue works after that.

Edited by Ysne58

Then you should be able to both play Skyrim and launch CK in offline mode. ;)

@Ysne: That's werid. Then that suggests that scenes at least are totally broken. All I can tell you is that additional dialogue I've supplied that's new from the mod is working fine. Though I've yet to attempt creating a scene because it looks like a big mess with the interface the way it is.

Is any of his dialogue added to vanilla topics at all?

I don't believe so. His mod is in a separate world space. You can enter it from a cave he creates that is just north of Riften.

Should be possible and actually being possible appear to have different meanings to Valve :P

Then you should be able to both play Skyrim and launch CK in offline mode. ;)

See Arthmoor's post above.