Using USKP with 1.6

AndalayBay

I've seen some reports saying that you shouldn't be running the USKP against the newly released 1.6. Is that true? What is the extent of the problem?

It's caused by edited dialogue. Something that changed with Patch 1.6 has caused several lines of dialogue edited by the USKP, and presumably all other mods, to get skipped. You won't see the subtitle, no audio is spoke, and there's no lip movement. Any attached Papyrus fragments are not executed.

It's confirmed already to break Armen's family sword quest in Whiterun and the two Jagged Crown scenes for the Civil War.

It could just be limited to scene based dialogue, but that hasn't been nailed down yet.

Shit. So it sounds like we need to disable it for now. So do we need to wait for the 1.6 CK update to fix it?

Yes, it will need to wait for a CK update. Though without knowing what the problem is it's hard to say if that will help.

This makes me wonder if Bethesda doesn't have full control of what they're suppose to fix, since a new patch is fixing a couple of bugs and then at the same time the latest patch triggers new bugs. :wacko:

Arthmoor you wouldn't happen to know how much of the 1.6 patch has cause for USKP? Is it just a few dialogues of the mentioned quests or has it a greater impact of the game?

Any dialogue it blocks will behave as though it never happened. Including any attached Papyrus scripts. Which is why it can now break a lot more than it fixes.

Someone on the Beth forum suggested axing all the dialogue changes and issuing a temporary update with that done. I have to say, I'm pretty tempted to move on that before things get too far out of hand and the USKP is permanently branded as damaged goods.

Damn. That's not good and damn Bethesda for such modding mess, but it also affects us who like to play the game and to explore a game world that's comparable to Vvardenfell in Morrowind.

Any dialogue it blocks will behave as though it never happened. Including any attached Papyrus scripts. Which is why it can now break a lot more than it fixes.

Someone on the Beth forum suggested axing all the dialogue changes and issuing a temporary update with that done. I have to say, I'm pretty tempted to move on that before things get too far out of hand and the USKP is permanently branded as damaged goods.

I agree but it also means a lot more work to do and I'm willing to help if I can.

Here another thing that I would like to share with you guys so here it goes. Yesterday when I was doing a Way of the Voice quest for Arngeir he sent me to Ragnwald for the word the greybeards have heard a whisper about, so I went into the barrow and killed Otar the Mad which had the dragon mask Otar. Once he died and I looted the body I saw a large chest in front me behind the iron bars that was now drawn down into the floor. When I activated the chest I had my biggest surprise and if I didn't tell you what I found you would never believe me I promise. Inside the chest there were Meridia's beacon in their chests loot and after I took everything Meridia talked to me which started the Meridia quest right away.

My question is does anyone of you who did that quest in the previous patches and if you did do you also remember where Meridia's beacon was found? Personally I started the quest but never finished it.

My question is does anyone of you who did that quest in the previous patches and if you did do you also remember where Meridia's beacon was found? Personally I started the quest but never finished it.

Meridia's beacon will be placed in a random boss chest anywhere in the game. To quote the UESP: "The Beacon can spawn randomly in any boss chest in the game except those in The Katariah and the Dawnstar Sanctuary, amounting to 152 possible locations."

Thanks. :)

But the strange part of this is that I haven't started the quest when I found Meridia's beacon in the boss chest. :blink:

That's correct. That's how you start the quest - by finding the beacon somewhere or finding her shrine.

I've question about the USKP 1.0 and I wonder if USKP 1.0 had altered The Wolf Queen Awakening quest in any way?

The reason I ask is because I think there is an CTD issue similar to the Bonechill Passage as a CTD zone meaning you couldn't enter the cave without a CTD when the game was released.

I couldn't finish the quest and I've already tried to play through the battle a couple of times with the same result every time, because as soon Potema is defeated the game has a CTD in the same sequence were the blue spectra start to vanish. sad.png

I'm lucky to play Skyrim on PC and yes I save the game just before the last battle, so now I must use the console to finished the quest. :wallbash:

Edited by Leonardo

We have altered part of that dungeon to block it from resetting the big purple thing but beyond that, no.

As for the USKP, 1.05b is up now. That reinstates all the armor and race edits and only purges the dialogue edits. No, I don't know how long it will be before the devs fix it. All I can say is they're aware of the issue and working on it.

Thanks for the update and I'll try the updated USKP tomorrow because I'm getting a little tired right now. :coffee:

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just DIAL records which cause problems with 1.6 in any mod? I haven't upgraded to 1.6 yet, but I thought I might check through all my installed mods and see which have DIAL records, decide whether to drop them and patch or keep them and not patch. But if it's more than just DIAL records, I'd be wasting my time checking for only DIAL records.

It's INFO records that have been affected, not the DIAL records.

Ah, okay thanks, now I can take a looksee which ESM/Ps contain INFO records. Is it ESMs and ESPs, or only ESPs? And is it only edited vanilla records which are a problem, or new INFO records too?

EDIT

Oh crap. Damn I hate Steam so much. It just decided to turn automatic updates for Skyrim back on, having been so good to me and obeyed my instruction to leave it turned off for once (I always disable automatic updates for Skyrim, and every new patch release has still been installed immediately, 1.6 was the first where it did not install it). Now it's installed 1.6, so now I HAVE to remove any mods containing INFO records. Is Valve EVER going to fix the enable/disable automatic updates of games bug?

Edited by Vorians

Other companies are doing the same thing. Skype is pulling crap like that now too. I had a devil of a job convincing it that no, I did not want it to update to the latest and greatest right in the middle of a conversation. In fact, now that it's a Microsoft product, it's probably time to uninstall it completely and find something else!

Back on topic: I believe it's all INFO records. I think Ysne was doing some testing of Alex's new mod and he was having all kinds of trouble. Best to get confirmation on that though.

It's any mod that edits a vanilla INFO record. Doesn't matter if it's an ESM or ESP.

I have been able to narrow the findings down on the issue a bit too. If the mod edits an INFO that's part of a normal dialogue menu, a response delivered by the NPC will only fail to play its audio. The subtitles still show, and if you let it play out, any attached fragments appear to execute. I haven't determined yet if this is happening because Fuz-Ro-Doh is catching it and saving the day or if it's been like this all along.

In cases where the INFO is a line of dialogue delivered outside that menu, it gets dropped, even with Fuz-Ro-Doh in place. This affects the "hellos" and anything delivered as part of a scene. Audio, subtitles, and fragments all drop, leaving things a disjointed mess.

Oh, and Vorians, welcome to Steam. It's been concluded that the behavior you saw is deliberate. The "don't update me" box apparently only obeys you for as long as the game and/or CK stay running. Logging in to Steam later silently resets this and Valve knows this is happening but has chosen to do nothing about it.

The only 100% effective means of forcing it to remain off is to actively prevent it from connecting to the internet. Offline mode is just as unreliable as that other setting. Of course, actively blocking it means you can't publish to the Workshop either, but I doubt too many people actually care :P Sadly, the CK has a habit of insisting on being used ONLY in online mode. It refuses to start for me if I attempt to put Steam into offline mode.

Edited by Arthmoor

Well I've shut down my PC several times since 1.6 was released, I turn off every night, so I've logged back into Steam again every time I next run the game. Up til now 1.6 has remained safely away from me. No good using offline mode though, as when I'm offline I cannot play Skyrim. Steam tells me that there was an error connecting (due to being in offline mode) and that I should try logging in again. So offline mode will only work if I go online to use it, I guess... same as you have with the CK.

So, non-vanilla INFOs are safe, that's good to know, I'll check the Form ID column as well.

That is so weird. Steam is offline for me 99.9% of the time. If you look at my profile, you'd think I've only played 20 mins of Skyrim. I've actually logged over 300 hrs on Skyrim so far. The CK time would be zero. It's a few hours at least in reality, if not several days. I will never let the CK go online since I have no intention of publishing to the workshop. Maybe that's way it works for me. Anyway not a topic for this thread, but very odd. Perhaps we could compare settings at some point.

Good to know about the INFO's.